This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4315 / 51°25'53"N
Longitude: -0.0371 / 0°2'13"W
OS Eastings: 536551
OS Northings: 172102
OS Grid: TQ365721
Mapcode National: GBR K9.FBV
Mapcode Global: VHGRF.98RZ
Entry Name: Livesey Memorial Hall
Listing Date: 25 April 1995
Last Amended: 30 August 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436244
Location: Lewisham, London, SE6
Electoral Ward/Division: Bellingham
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Forest Hill, St George With Lower Sydenham, St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3672 PERRY HILL
779-/31/10050 Livesley Memorial Hall
Recreation Hall. Built 1911 by S.Y.Shoubridge for the employees of the South Suburban Gas Company. Erected as a memorial for Sir George Livesey (1834-1908), Chairman of the company. London stock brick (made by the Gas Company) on concrete foundations with Burmantoft terracotta dressing. Red-tiled shallow pitched roof with hipped ends and finials. Single storey 'E' plan with steps rising to square, double-arched central entrance porch. Entrance doors of hardwood with six panels hung folding in two leaves, with semi-circular fan light above. Above the porch, a terracotta balustrade with comer piers topped with pierced urn-like finials. A large faience panel above porch arches depicts a beige banner and floral stems on a green ground. Raised letters in oxblood: 'LIVESEY MEMORIAL HALL.' Building stretches four bays either side of porch, with last bay forming pedimented gable end pierced by Venetian windows. Doric pilasters divide the other bays, each has a rectangular window set in round-headed terracotta surrounds, also at rear. Small paned, clear-glazed windows. INTERIOR. Large hall with raised stage at south end. Coved ceiling; classical cornice and pilasters divide the walls into bays. Billiard room and reading room to the right now form an open bar area. HISTORY. Much of the building work was carried out by the Gas Company itself George Thomas Livesey, knighted in 1902, initiated many technical improvements in the design of gas holders. He was the builder of the Greenwich Gas Works (1883) and was a pioneeer of Co-partnership (profit-sharing) within the industry.
Listing NGR: TQ3655172102
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings