History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Eckington, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3081 / 53°18'29"N

Longitude: -1.364 / 1°21'50"W

OS Eastings: 442478

OS Northings: 379202

OS Grid: SK424792

Mapcode National: GBR LZX5.HV

Mapcode Global: WHDF4.03SS

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 20 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253117

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436253

Location: Eckington, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S21

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Eckington

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Eckington and Ridgeway

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Mosborough

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

ECKINGTON HIGH STREET
SK 47 NW
(north side)
1264-/7/10006 Methodist Chapel
II

Non-conformist (United Methodist) church. Dated 1875, with
Late C20 alterations.Regularly-coursed squared Coal Measures
sandstone with ashlar dressings,coped gables and a Welsh
slated roof. 2 storeys over a basement five bays, rectangular
on plan, the basement used for the Sunday school. South
elevation;broad gabled front with apex detailed as a
pediment.Flight of steps to entrance flanked by cast-iron
spear headed railings on low ashlar walls. Entrance defined by
pilasters supporting plain entablature. Frieze carries
inscription 'U.M. FREE CHURCH A.D. 1875'. Wide semi-circular
arched double doorway with panelled doors below semi circular
fanlight incorporating a roundel.Flanking lancet lights.
Defining the doorway bay are giant pilasters which rise to the
pediment. Above the doorway are triple semi-circular headed
windows with impost band.The outer bays have basket arch
headed window openings to ground and first floors. Side
elevation with lintol band to flat-headed 2 light basement
windows, cill band to semi-circular headed first floor
openings and impost band to first floor semi-circular headed
openings. Attached stone flanking boundary wall to west with
square teminal pier links with semi-circular,railed entrance
with tall gatepiers with shallow ogee caps. Ornamental gates
with spear headed rails matching the rialing detail. Interior;
semi-circular south end to gallery,with panelled fascia.
Gallery carried on cast iron columns with foliated capitals.
Inserted ceiling isolates gallery,from which benches have been
removed. Organ relocated from gallery to ground floor to the
rear of the contemporary rostrum fittings. Original joinery
throughout including panelled doors, architraves and simple
staircase.


Listing NGR: SK4247879202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.