This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5186 / 53°31'7"N
Longitude: -2.5051 / 2°30'18"W
OS Eastings: 366608
OS Northings: 402558
OS Grid: SD666025
Mapcode National: GBR BWYR.GD
Mapcode Global: WH980.HTBF
Entry Name: 94-118, Leigh Road
Listing Date: 18 October 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253226
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213546
Location: Wigan, M46
Electoral Ward/Division: Atherleigh
Built-Up Area: Atherton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Howe Bridge St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
The following building shall be added:
ATHERTON LEIGH ROAD
SD 60 SE
2/61 Howe Bridge
Nos 94-118 (even)
Miners cottages incorporating shops and attached institute. Dated 1875; C20
alterations. For Fletcher Burrows Ltd. Red brick, graduated Welsh slate roof.
Elongated range with tall, gabled, 2-storey, 2 x 5-bay institute across left end
then lower 2-storey cottages having 1st floor windows in rhythm 3:2:3:2:3:1:1 and
penetrated by 3 gabled projections containing shops (nos 102, 110 and 118).
Institute (nos 94 and 96): plinth; brick sill bands and stone sills to transomed 3-
light casements under segmental arches. Chequered floor band beneath plaque with
'ATHERTON COLLIERIES VILLAGE CLUB'; short 4-light windows to 1st floor; decorative
brick band across gable containing oculus with glazing bars in dentilled surround.
Truncated lateral stacks; that on right rising from short gabled projection (C20
additions to ground floor not of special interest). Left return (facing School
St.): blocked, pointed-arched central doorway; bays 1 and 2 rise as a gable whilst
bay 5 forms lateral stack with with date 'A/1875/D' in quatrefoil plaque.
Cottages and shops: Nos 102 and 110 form gabled projections with shop doors and
tall casements divided by piers beneath linked lintels, brick hoodmoulds and bands.
No 102 has 2 segmentally-arched casements to 1st floor and twin slits in gable; no
110 is taller with attic window in gable. No 118 is also gabled but has side
buttresses and central shop door flanked by windows beneath bracketted canopy;
3-light casement to 1st floor and 2 slits in gable. Cottages linking each gable
have segmentally-arched doors and 3-light casements to each floor divided by floor
band (no 96, adjoining institute, has been altered). Panelled brick ridge stacks.
Included for Group Value.
Listing NGR: SD6660802558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings