This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8992 / 52°53'56"N
Longitude: -1.8657 / 1°51'56"W
OS Eastings: 409133
OS Northings: 333532
OS Grid: SK091335
Mapcode National: GBR 38R.94M
Mapcode Global: WHCFP.9DT8
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 8 January 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361644
Location: Uttoxeter, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, ST14
District: East Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Uttoxeter
Built-Up Area: Uttoxeter
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Uttoxeter St Mary Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
The following buildings shall be added:
UTTOXETER HIGH STREET
810-0/1/10000 Town Hall
Town Hall now Market hall. 1854 By Thomas Fradgley of Uttoxeter.
Red brick in Flemish bond with painted ashlar sandstone
dressings; Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys; symmetrical 5-bay front
of which the end bays project and are pedimented; assembly hall
across rear. Classical style. Tall plinth; channel-rusticated
quoin strips; 4-pane sashes in segmentally- arched ashlar
surrounds with transoms and overlights. Central stone porch with
square columns and openwork metal balustrade; steps to doorway
within. Porch is flanked by narrow side lights and then by double
doors. End bay on right has vehicle entrance with segmental arch
and keystone. 1st floor band and cornice; tripartite window above
porch flanked by windows without transoms. Entablature of end
pediments is carried around eaves; various stacks, mostly
truncated. Rear: tripartite sash above vehicle entrance; pediment
over. Assembly hall has brick pilasters, brick entablature and
pedimented gables with louvred lunettes; end stacks. West side
lit by 3 margin-glazed sashes in raised brick surrounds with
aprons and segmental arches. Interior: entrance lobby has doors
and screen with diagonal glazing bars; swirled acanthus ceiling
roses; doorway into assembly hall has 3 wreaths on its frieze.
Main staircase with quarter landings and decorative cast-iron
balustrade panels to continuous mahogany handrail wreathed at the
foot; octagonal lanterns to stairwell and landing. Assembly hall:
Doorways have eared architraves; gallery on 2 cast-iron columns
at north end continues at higher level along 2/3 of each side of
hall: elaborate scrolled, cast-iron balustrade panels with
anthemion motifs; wooden handrail. Ceiling has coved edge and 3
large ventilated roses. Designed to accommodate Savings Bank,
Police Office, Council Chamber and Library for the Literary
Institute as well as a hall for dancing, meetings etc.
Redfern. F. History of Uttoxeter, 1885.
Listing NGR: SK0913333532
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings