This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1066 / 52°6'23"N
Longitude: 1.3338 / 1°20'1"E
OS Eastings: 628394
OS Northings: 250604
OS Grid: TM283506
Mapcode National: GBR WQ0.VD9
Mapcode Global: VHLBQ.29HY
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 15 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253490
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361704
Location: Melton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Melton
Built-Up Area: Woodbridge
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Melton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
The following items shall be added:
MELTON STATION ROAD
TM 25 SE
Church of St Andrew
Parish Church 1866-8 by Frederick J. Barnes. Flat faced rustic ragstone with
Caen stone dressings. Slate roofs with caped gable ends.
Early Decorated Geometric style, the details fairly correctly interpreted.
Plan: Nave. chancel, north aisle, tower over porch at west end of south side
of nave, small transepted vestry on south side of chancel and later vestry on
north side of chancel. The parish room on the north east corner of the
chancel was built in 1973.
Exterior: Geometric traceried windows. 2-light nave windows on south side
with buttresses between, small transepted vestry to chancel on right and large
3-sta tower to left over porch with moulded 2-centred arch doorway, angle
buttresses, trefoil friezes, Geometric traceried 2-light bell-openings and
stone broach spire with lucarnes and weathervane. 3-light Geometric traceried
east and west windows.
On the north side the nave roof is carried down as a catslide over the north
aisle, the north wall of which as short pointed head windows and occuli with
squat buttresses between and large angle buttresses at north west corner. 2
wooden clerestorey dormers in the nave roof on the north side and one long
8-light flat roof dormer over the aisle below all with wooden tracery: chancel
has similar dormer and later flat-roof vestry on north side. The plank doors
have ornate wrought-iron hinges.
Interior: Plastered walls. 5-bay north arcade with octagonal piers and
double-chamfered 2 centred arches. Fine arch-braced hammerbeam nave roof;
single pitch north aisle roof with large pierced spandrels over the trusses
and against the arcade spandrels; scissor-braced chancel roof. Elaborate oak
screen of 1934 with carved tracery and vaulted canopy. The seating is
complete including the choir stalls. Carved Gothic altar rail, wooden pulpit
and lectern. Organ - C19. Encaustic tile floors. Fine C15 font, tall
octagonal stem with pinnacles at the corners and canopied niches with signs of
the four Evangelists and four small figures; the octagonal bowl has panels
with the Seven Sacrements and the Martyrdom of St Andrew. Stained glass: East
window 1872 by Ward and Hughes, south window 1903 by C E Kempe and other
windows by Heaton Butler and Bayne and A L Moore.
Source: A Riches 'Victorian Church Building and Restoration in Suffolk'
(supplement to Munro Cantley's 'Suffolk Churches').
Listing NGR: TM2839450604
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings