This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1671 / 51°10'1"N
Longitude: -0.4525 / 0°27'9"W
OS Eastings: 508292
OS Northings: 142008
OS Grid: TQ082420
Mapcode National: GBR GFT.LG5
Mapcode Global: VHFVX.3XMP
Entry Name: Marylands
Listing Date: 10 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253713
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437008
Location: Ewhurst, Waverley, Surrey, GU6
Civil Parish: Ewhurst
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ewhurst
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04 SE EWHURST HURTWOOD
House. Designed by Oliver Hill and built between 1929-31 for Mr M C Warner in an
inventive mixture of Spanish style with Lutyens influence. The architect successfully deflected
the client from his Tudor preference which Oliver Hill thought was completely wrong for the
site. Built of sandstone with Swedish green pantiled roof. Comprises U-shaped block of 2
storeys facing south-west to take full advantage of the spectacular views, with north-east side
incorporating tall battered square tower and with curved service wing of one storey and attics
attached to the north by an archway. The two wings are linked by a stone terrace incorporating
a Moorish curved pool. Irregular fenestration with carefully designed but disparate glazing.
Central block of south-west or garden front has 4 windows to first floor, including three 4 or
5 light casments and left side tripartite window with metal glazing bars in the form of stylized
hooked branches. Ground floor windows are round-headed with glazing bars and a
round-headed door with massive hinges. Projecting right hand wing has open loggia on ground
floor with round headed arches and former nursery wing on first floor with open sleeping
platform of three bays to the south. Windows overlooking the view were purposely left
unglazed, windows facing south-east are four-light casements. Projecting left hand wing has
sleeping platform at south of first floor with metal balcony to the principal bedroom. Music
room on ground floor has round-headed tall windows, some with glazing bars, some without
and metal balcony to south. North-west side has battered external chimneystack and to north
is a battered square tower of 4 storeys, including library on first floor with modified Venetian
window, round-headed windows to second floor with idiosyncratic diagonal glazing bars and
small casements to tower room. Entrance front to north-east has 3 and 4 light casements.
Round-headed doorcase. Curved former service wing of one storey and attics has casement
windows and hipped dormers to the rear. The interior is remarkably complete. The music room
has a sandstone fireplace with herringbone brick infill and brick curved hood, dais at one end,
oak hatch with chevron pattern to library, round-headed door with chevron pattern to hall and
smaller plank door to library up three steps with tiled risers and specially designed curved
curtain rails which open outwards. Beamed ceiling supported on stone corbels. Staircase hall has
minstrels' gallery, two round-headed arches with battered column, circular herringbone brick
feature to floor, circular stone steps with tiled risers, stone arches to minstrels gallery, partly
open wooden staircase and wheel light fitting. Library has corner stone fireplace. Dining room
is barrel-vaulted and has a Tudor arched fireplace with herringbone brick infill and serving
hatch with chevron pattern which folds into four to kitchen. Original light fittings. Service
staircase has stick balusters and square newel posts. Servants' bells survive. First floor corridor
has copper light fittings. Several bedrooms have original fireplaces, some with tiled surrounds
and cupboards. Open tread staircase to tower room and lattice design to balustrade. During the
Second World War the house was let to Tatsumi, the Japanese Military Attache and Sikorsky,
the Polish prime minister.
See 'Country Life' October 24 1931, 'The Builder' January 24 1928, 'The Ideal Home' June
1938, BOE Surrey p227.
Listing NGR: TQ0829242008
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings