History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

49 and 51, Fore Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingsteignton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5464 / 50°32'47"N

Longitude: -3.5928 / 3°35'34"W

OS Eastings: 287240

OS Northings: 73062

OS Grid: SX872730

Mapcode National: GBR QS.BSPV

Mapcode Global: FRA 37CM.83W

Entry Name: 49 and 51, Fore Street

Listing Date: 7 March 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253737

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85419

Location: Kingsteignton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Kingsteignton

Built-Up Area: Kingsteignton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Kingsteignton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Kingsteignton

Listing Text

KINGSTEIGNTON FORE STREET
SX 87 SE
SP 1105 No 49 and 51
5/1105
II

2 adjoining houses. Circa late C15, remodelled in C16 and C17 and with later
alterations. Rendered cob. Corrugated iron and asbestos tile roofs with gabled
ends. Stone rubble rear lateral stack with rendered shaft and large rendered
gable end stack with set-offs.
Plan and Development: The original circa late C15 house was of 3-room plan, the
2 right-hand rooms now occupied by No 51 and the narrow left-hand room is part
of No 49. It was originally open to the roof throughout. In about C16 a floor
was inserted over the right hand room jettied into the still open hall (central
room). Later, probably in C17 the left hand room and hall were floored when a
rear lateral stack was built to heat the hall. The narrow left hand room might
have been created at this stage as a cross passage to the large lower end exten-
sion with its gable end stack (now No 49). No 49 has been extended at the rear
and No 51 has a C20 rear outshut.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2:3 window front, the left 2 windows (No 49)
has higher roof. All C20 casements. Two C20 glazed doors to left of centre.
Rear elevation has lateral stack to lower left range and C20 outshut, the right
hand range has higher level catslide roof with axial stack.
Interior: No enforced features on ground floor. The original hipped roof over
the 3 original bays is complete and smoke-blackened from end to end including
the common rafters, battens and original thatch. One jointed cruck truss over
the hall has mortice and tenoned cranked collar, trenched diagonal ridge-piece
and trenched or threaded purlins. The inserted wattle-and-daub partition is
smoke-blackened on the hall side only and jettied over the partition below on
the ground floor. Another wattle-and-daub partition at opposite low end of
hall. First floor chamber of No 49 has small circa late C18 moulded chimney-
piece with Victorian grate.


Listing NGR: SX8724073062

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.