This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0669 / 51°4'0"N
Longitude: -1.7975 / 1°47'50"W
OS Eastings: 414286
OS Northings: 129752
OS Grid: SU142297
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.2C5
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.KJT
Entry Name: 48 and 48a, the Close
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253969
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319023
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Nos 48 & 48A
(Formerly listed as No 48)
SU 1429 NW 3/24 28.2.52.
Cl4/C15but recased C17 and C18. 2 storeys and attic, stucco faced. Gable
end old tile roof. Wood 1st floor string. 2 large hipped dormers with C19
lights. 1st floor has late C18 casement to left and 4 light canted bay to
right (recently cut back) sash glazing bar lights, panelled apron. On ground
floor 2 C18 windows flanking entrance, one a single sash the other tripartite,
thick glazing bars; both with panelled shutters. Door off centre 6 panels,
in architrave surround, plain frieze, panelled pilasters and carved scroll
brackets supporting heavy moulded cornice, broken forward over brackets.
The south gable end wall, in passage, has stone external chimney with offsets.
Stone rubble and timber framed walling with brick infilling now rendered over.
Tile hung part to rear. The east rear elevation has tle hung built out early
C19 part but with old stone rubble base to left. Early C19 tripartite sash
on 1st floor, blocked window on north side. The upper floor of the wing partly
conceals pair of gables to main block one with timber framing. To the north
and running east a lower partly timber framed wing, restored casements. North.
wing has various blocks of reused old Sarum stone with chevron and star carvings.
Interior has some remains of timber frame. Wall post in ground floor cloak
room. Hall has beams and partition. Front living room has beams showing
position of former overhang. In small front kitchen part of the wall of adjoining
North Gate qv is exposed, stone and flint chequer, blocked doorway (formerly
night watchman's entrance). On 1st floor south side room with C17 Panelling,
possibly reset, section hinged with original hinges. A document of 1386 refers
to evidence of Cathedral Clock winder. The building was also atone time the
Porter's Lodge and the premises included the chamber over the North Gate qv
and also the prison house of the Close.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1427929750
Other nearby listed buildings