History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Block 20 of South Barracks royal Marines Depot

A Grade II Listed Building in Walmer, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2113 / 51°12'40"N

Longitude: 1.4004 / 1°24'1"E

OS Eastings: 637591

OS Northings: 151286

OS Grid: TR375512

Mapcode National: GBR X1Y.T16

Mapcode Global: VHMDG.7T58

Entry Name: Block 20 of South Barracks royal Marines Depot

Listing Date: 2 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254009

English Heritage Legacy ID: 177272

Location: Walmer, Dover, Kent, CT14

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Walmer

Built-Up Area: Deal

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Deal

Listing Text

1. DOVER ROAD
5275 (North West Side)
Block 20 of South
Barracks, Royal Marines
Depot
TR 35 SE 5/440
II GV
2.
A cavalry barracks of 1790's, built as part of Pitt's barrack-building begun
in 1793; mid C19 alteraions. Red brick with some mid C19 yellow stock brick; slate
hipped roof. Long two sorey block originally probably of ten bays with subsequent
modifications, the two bays at either end projecting forward to form shallow terminal
pavillions. The southern pavillion probably formed officer's quarters. The northern
eight bays, including the northern pavillion, originally had stabling on the ground
floor with barrack rooms above reached by an external stair at north end of building.
Original openings appear to have been wide with segmental heads, the original
fenestration pattern in the front elevation surviving to the greatest extent at north
end; the northern three bays retain their stable entries, dating in their preent form
probably from early to mid C19, with centre doorways with side and overlights. The
original centre five bays were modified on ground floor with present early to mid C19
stock bricks and the insertion of the present several narrower segmentally headed sash
windows with glazing bars. Further south, two modern doorways with flat canopies on
ground floor, the southern one with two doorways. There are similar fenestration
patterns in the rear elevaion; the first floor is masked externally by the roof of the
large drill shead which retains its iron trusses. Inside No 20, the first floor of the
north end of the barracks is supported on the original cast-iron columns. In the south
pavillion, and southern end of former stabling wings, the staircase, doors, ceiling
cornices and other internal features survive from the late C18 to mid C19 officers'
quarters.


Listing NGR: TR3759151286

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.