History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tunnel Portal in the John Smith Playing Field

A Grade II Listed Building in Longridge, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8352 / 53°50'6"N

Longitude: -2.5917 / 2°35'30"W

OS Eastings: 361155

OS Northings: 437821

OS Grid: SD611378

Mapcode National: GBR BSB2.PY

Mapcode Global: WH96F.5V3R

Entry Name: Tunnel Portal in the John Smith Playing Field

Listing Date: 11 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254110

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183050

Location: Longridge, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Longridge

Built-Up Area: Longridge

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Longridge St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Longridge

Listing Text

1.
SD 611 378 LONGRIDGE OFF CHAIGLEY ROAD
in the John Smith
Playing Field

7/121A Tunnel Portal

2. II


West portal of a tunnel, which is now blocked at the other end, dated 1839. Sandstone.
The centre piece of the portal is flat on plan and projects a little between abutments
which curve forward. All the masonry is rusticated and rock-faced. The tunnel is,
apparently, an elliptical tube of coursed stone, and the voussoirs of the entrance
are individually rusticated and rock-faced under a plan projecting string course.
The taller keystone bears a panel incised with the letters P & L
R
1839
FHP
CT
Overall is a smoother-faced blocking course (of single stones over the centre piece
and of three shallow courses over the abutments) and a flat coping.
Many of the stones bear masons' marks.

History: built for the Preston and Longridge Railway Company's line from Tootle
Height Quarry which was opened in 1840. The chairman was Sir Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood
(to whom the initials FHP are said to refer).


Listing NGR: SD6115337826

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.