This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0934 / 51°5'36"N
Longitude: -3.0117 / 3°0'42"W
OS Eastings: 329248
OS Northings: 133164
OS Grid: ST292331
Mapcode National: GBR M5.CDT8
Mapcode Global: FRA 46L7.6KH
Entry Name: United Reform Church Including Front Area Wall and Railings to South
Listing Date: 30 October 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269438
Location: North Petherton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: North Petherton
Built-Up Area: North Petherton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
The following building shall be added to the list
ST 23 SE NORTH PETHERTON BRIDGEWATER ROAD
7/171 United Reform
front area wall
and railings to
Congregational church and Sunday school. 1833, remodelling in 1869; Sunday
school added in 1922. Dressed stone rubble with limestone dressings at the
front, brick dressings at rear, rendered on west side and Sunday School brick on
east side. Slate roof, hipped at rear; Sunday school has Bridgewater double
Plan: Rectangular auditorium with entrance under a gallery at the south end.
In 1869 the south front was given a new classical facade and the interior was
refurnished. In 1922 a Sunday school was added on the right (east) side with a
similar classical facade to match the main front of the church.
Exterior: 2 storey south front. 1:3:1 bay gabled front, the centre with raised
open pediment and pilasters. Central round-headed doorway with pilasters and
smaller round-headed sidelights, string course and similar tripartite window on
first floor with riband above inscribed "Congregational Church built 1833,
rebuilt 1869" and rounded in the pediment. The flanking bays have round-headed
windows. The Sunday school to right is almost a facsimile but lower without
first floor windows and with large plaque inscribed "Rebuilt 1922 A memorial to
those who served and fell in the Great War 1914-18".
The left (west) side of the church has 3 tall round-headed windows and a moulded
cast-iron gutter with lion masks. At the rear 2 pointed arch windows with
Y-tracery on first floor and 12-pane sash to right of doorway below.
Including iron railings in front on dwarf stone wall, with arrow heads to shafts
and small standards with finials.
Interior: The gallery at the south end may be original; it has a panelled front
and is supported on slender cast-iron and wooden columns. Plain plastered
ceiling and wall, the north end has a moulded plaster 3-bay arcade the larger
central arch behind a panelled and pilastered wooden rostrum. Organ in the
north east corner and late C19 benches with round-headed ends.
Listing NGR: ST2924833164
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 14 December 2016.
Other nearby listed buildings