History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Obelisk and Railings North East of the Church of the Holy Cross

A Grade II Listed Building in Cruwys Morchard, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8982 / 50°53'53"N

Longitude: -3.602 / 3°36'7"W

OS Eastings: 287436

OS Northings: 112188

OS Grid: SS874121

Mapcode National: GBR LC.RM9L

Mapcode Global: FRA 36BQ.QJ0

Entry Name: Obelisk and Railings North East of the Church of the Holy Cross

Listing Date: 28 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254260

English Heritage Legacy ID: 437704

Location: Cruwys Morchard, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Cruwys Morchard

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Cruwys Morchard Holy Cross

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Templeton

Listing Text

SS 81 SE CRUWYS MORCHARD CRUWYS MORCHARD
2/79 Obelisk and railings north east of
- the Church of Holy Cross
GV II
Commemorative obelisk and surrounding railings. Early C19. Portland stone ashlar,
iron railings. Stone obelisk on a tall pedestal with recessed inscription panels on
the pedestal. The panel on the south side commemorates Henry Cruwys, Rector"...(and
last Male Issue of the ancient family of the Cruwys's who possessed valuable Estates
in the said Parish for several Hundred Years successively) Lieth buried in a small
House which he borrowed of his Brethren the Worms in Hopes of the Resurrection and
Life Eternal". Henry Cruwys died in 1804. The inscription on the west side
commemorates a child, died 1800. The obelisk is surrounded by iron railings with
flame finials with columnar corner rails with urn finials.
The obelisk is enclosed by especially planted yews in the corner of the churchyard
closest to Cruwys House (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SS8743612188

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.