History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Tentering Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossendale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6608 / 53°39'39"N

Longitude: -2.3209 / 2°19'15"W

OS Eastings: 378893

OS Northings: 418309

OS Grid: SD788183

Mapcode National: GBR DV73.BF

Mapcode Global: WH97J.B72V

Entry Name: The Tentering Tower

Listing Date: 5 December 1991

Last Amended: 10 March 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254273

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185847

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BL0

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Eden

Built-Up Area: Ramsbottom

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Stubbins St Philip

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Stubbins

Listing Text

SD 71 NE THE TENTERING TOWER
Stubbins Vale Road
(Also known as The Wet
255-0/9/10001 Tower)

Formerly listes as
THE WET TOWER)

II

Cloth store associated with former tenterfields; now derelict. 1866, for
Porritt's Stubbins Vale Mill; raised c.1880. Coursed rock-faced
sandstone, except the west wall which is of coursed rubble; no roof.
Square plan. Designed as an eye-catcher. Formerly single-storey, now 2
storeys, 3 windows, symmetrical; with simple oversailing battlements to
the north, east and south sides. The architectural front to the east has
3 unglazed vertical-rectangular windows on each floor; both sides have
one similar window on each floor; and the entrance front to the west has
a large round-headed doorway in the centre of the ground floor and a
loading doorway above this approached by stone steps flush with the wall
to the right (but now mostly fallen), both flanked by windows like those
at the front but that to the right at ground floor now blocked. Interior
now a void. History: used to store cloths before and after they were
stretched on tenters; shown in a photograph of c.1870 as a single-storey
building, with cloths on long tenter-frames in the field to the rear of
it.


Listing NGR: SD7889318309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.