This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0652 / 51°3'54"N
Longitude: -1.8002 / 1°48'0"W
OS Eastings: 414098
OS Northings: 129557
OS Grid: SU140295
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.1PN
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.QHF
Entry Name: College of Sarum St Michael the Old Deanery
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319051
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
The Old Deanery
(College of Sarum St Michael)
SU 1429 NW 3/10
Formerly No 62.
Concealed from road by modern college block. In 1277 Bisho= Roger de Wykehampton
made over the Hall he had occupied as Dean to be used as the Deanery. The building
was much altered and recased mainly in the C18 but in 1963 the hall was restored.
East front: in centre restored mediaeval hall flint and stone rubble, 3 gabled
pointed traceried windows, gables breaking through eaves and smaller gable
over pointed doorway: 3 stone buttresses. To left hand flint and stone rubble
2 storey projection with hipped tiled roof. 2 large early Cl9 sashes lst floor
and modern glazed door on ground floor. On north side of projection, cusped
headed stone framed 1 aid 2 light windows. To right hand irregular extensions
of flint and rubble with projecting Gable and half hipped gable. Sash windows
and restored pointed window. South front has 2 external stone chimneys with
offsets. Flint and stone walling with some tile herringbone corner buttresses.
3 light cusped headed windows. West front: Hall to centre with 3 gabled windows,
restored as on east front. To right hand tall 2 storey projection with some
reused old stone work and flint rubble. Very large segment headed early C19
style lst floor window and canted bay window supported by 2 Tuscan columns.
French windows below. The north side of projection has 2 original windows
and pointed door. To left hand 2 window hipped roof section and 1 storey
and attic flint rubble extension to north. North front has gable ends of 2
northern ranges with recessed centre, trace of timber framing in-gables.
Interior: the hall consisted of a solar at south end and butteries at north
end. Trussed rafter roof C13 with the only C13 louvre framing in the country.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1409929564
Other nearby listed buildings