This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9543 / 52°57'15"N
Longitude: -1.1431 / 1°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 457665
OS Northings: 340002
OS Grid: SK576400
Mapcode National: GBR LQP.N3
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.D0WH
Entry Name: People's Hall
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254499
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457235
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Local Authority Ward: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739NE HEATHCOAT STREET
646-1/21/254 (East side)
12/07/72 People's Hall
2 houses, now club and shop. Dated 1750. Converted and altered
1854 for George Gill. Red brick, partly rendered, with painted
ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: main building, to right, has quoins, rendered plinth
and parapet, first floor sill band and eaves band. 3 storeys;
5 window range. Regular fenestration, mid C19 plain sashes
with wedge lintels and double keystones. Heavily rusticated
central doorcase with double keystone and pediment, and
panelled double doors.
Right return has 3 gables, one rebuilt, and a round-arched
doorway with fielded 6-panel door and fanlight. Rainwater head
Lower building, to left, has rendered ground floor and second
floor sill band. 3 storeys; 5 window range of C19 plain sashes
with stone lintels. Above, 5 similar sashes with wedge lintels
and double keystones. Above again, a double hipped clerestory
roof. Ground floor has C20 door to left and 4 glazing bar
sashes to right.
INTERIOR has a good quality open well staircase, mid C18, with
triple turned and twist balusters, cut string and ramped
scrolled handrail. Panelled wainscot. Landing has wall panels
and modillion cornice to ceiling with octagonal panel. 3
original 6-panel doors with pedimented doorcases. On the
half-landing, a French window with sidelights.
Ground floor has 2 rooms combined c1870. 3 walls with C18
fielded and enriched panelling and frieze, modillion cornice,
and painted wooden fireplace with cornice and pedimented
overmantel. On the first floor, a similar room with 3 original
panelled walls and two fielded panelled doors with enriched
friezes and cornices. Carved wooden fireplace and overmantel
with broken pediment and enrichments. Adjoining room, mid C19,
has a queen post truss roof with hipped clerestory.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5766540002
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings