This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9643 / 52°57'51"N
Longitude: -1.1519 / 1°9'6"W
OS Eastings: 457060
OS Northings: 341102
OS Grid: SK570411
Mapcode National: GBR LNK.QJ
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.8RQD
Entry Name: Church of Christ Scientist and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457900
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Mapperley
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK54SE MANSFIELD ROAD
646-1/4/388 (East side)
12/07/72 Church of Christ Scientist and
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of Christ Scientist)
Former Presbyterian church, now Christian Scientist church,
boundary wall and gate. 1896. By Brewill & Baily of
Nottingham. Ashlar with stone slate roofs. Perpendicular
PLAN: nave with clerestory and aisles, north and south
porches, meeting room, south-west tower.
EXTERIOR: plinth, coped gables, ornamental iron gutter
brackets and rainwater heads. Mullioned and single light
windows have flat heads. Nave, 6 bays, has on each side 5
round-arched windows, 3-lights, with tracery and hood moulds.
Blank east gable, with 2 small mullioned windows set low down.
West gable has a traceried pointed arched window, 5-lights,
with major mullions and hood mould. Below it, a mullioned
window, 5-lights. Both gables have angle buttresses. Aisles
have buttresses and 3-light mullioned windows. North-west
porch has coped gable and angle buttress, 2 mullioned windows
and segment-arched door. Smaller south-east porch has a
simpler doorway and side window. South-west tower, square, 3
stages, has angle buttresses and shaped crenellated parapet
with corner pinnacles. Segment-arched recess to south
containing 2 doors, and over it, 2 mullioned windows. Side
window, 3-lights. Bell stage has flat-headed openings,
6-lights. Outside, coped boundary wall, brick and ashlar,
around the west and south sides. Facing the south door, a
gateway with steps, renewed gates, and wrought-iron overthrow.
INTERIOR has exposed ashlar and rendering above. Nave has
narrow aisles with 5-bay arcades. Rebated segment arches and
plain octagonal piers. Hammer beam roof with arch braces. At
the front, a platform with late C20 screen and C19 organ case.
At the rear, panelled wooden gallery, with partition inserted
below. Aisles have segment-arched doors. Entrance lobby has
cross beam ceiling. Meeting room, to north east, has segmental
vault and panelled wainscot. Fittings include plain original
benches and mid C20 lecterns.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5706041102
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings