This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.707 / 52°42'25"N
Longitude: -2.756 / 2°45'21"W
OS Eastings: 349017
OS Northings: 312413
OS Grid: SJ490124
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.2G69
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.M7T3
Entry Name: 23 and 23a, Swan Hill
Listing Date: 19 September 1972
Last Amended: 17 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254911
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458328
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ4912SW SWAN HILL
653-1/15/631 (North West side)
19/09/72 Nos.23 AND 23A
(Formerly Listed as:
Police station and Nos. 23 and 23A)
House and offices, formerly police station. 1893. Ashlar faced
over brick with Welsh slate roof.
3 storeys, main block (No.23) a 5-window range, divided from
No.23A by full-height carriage entry. Paired 2-pane sash
windows with moulded architraves in slightly advanced outer
bays. These bays have shallow segmental pediments over. Lower
storey articulated by rusticated pilasters. Inserted double
doors to left, and single off-centre original doorway. Foliate
frieze over first floor, cornice and parapet with urns. High
arch to left with mask keystone, and triple window over with
Mannerist balustraded pilasters.
No.23A is narrow 2-window range beyond the archway, entered
from the side. Articulated by rusticated pilasters, with
round-arched windows over. Square window with pedimented head
above, and projecting sill forming balconette.
Listing NGR: SJ4901712413
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings