This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.801 / 53°48'3"N
Longitude: -1.5479 / 1°32'52"W
OS Eastings: 429873
OS Northings: 433945
OS Grid: SE298339
Mapcode National: GBR BJK.27
Mapcode Global: WHC9D.6Q5H
Entry Name: Numbers 6 to 14 Including Stansfeld Chambers
Listing Date: 5 August 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 465107
Location: Leeds, LS2
Electoral Ward/Division: City and Hunslet
Built-Up Area: Leeds
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Leeds City
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2933NE GREAT GEORGE STREET
714-1/75/184 (North side)
05/08/76 Nos.6-14 (Even)
including Stansfeld Chambers
House, offices and carriage manufactory, now bookshop and
offices. 1848. For JF Clark. Red brick with ashlar dressings,
rusticated to ground floor, cobbled courtyard, cast-iron spur
blocks, roof not visible.
3 storeys, 3-bay house, 7-bay office and showroom range with
central arched entrance to rear courtyard with ranges on all
sides. House, left (No.14): deeply-recessed entrance, left, in
architrave with cornice on console brackets, lower
round-arched entrance far left; glazing-bar sashes throughout,
those to ground floor have surrounds as entrance and moulded
panels below; 1st floor: architraves, sills on small brackets;
2nd floor: bracketed sills, segmental brick arches. Ashlar
eaves band, cornice and blocking course which continues to
right above workshop premises.
Workshops: segmental-arched openings throughout. Central
archway has original panelled gates and tapered spur blocks
each side; large display windows, deep moulded cornice over.
Brick pilasters between upper-floor windows which have sashes
with margin lights and stone sills, bracketed to 2nd floor.
Courtyard: 3 storeys, 7 bays to W and E sides, 3 bays to N
A later C19 single-storey lean-to reception block bays 1-3, W
side, has stone surrounds to central door, paired flanking
windows and moulded brick eaves. Ground-floor archways on W
and E sides, most now reduced to windows have brick repairs to
sides and painted shields with numbers above; blocked loading
doors to upper floors, centre; windows have brick wedge
lintels and stone sills. N side: central arched opening
flanked by windows; cast-iron clock face with gilded numbers
between left and centre windows on 1st floor. The rear (north)
facade has 10 windows to each floor, some blocked, and an
inserted central wide entrance.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
In 1853 this was the premises of J Clark, coach builder; by
1876 Clark and Sons were the West Riding Carriage Works. The
business continued until at least 1881 and the 1900 Directory
Shows that J Stansfield Ltd, iron and steel merchants then
used the buildings, (they were probably responsible for the
single-storey office/reception, the numbers over the archways
and remnants of painted signwork on the north side of the
(Directories of Leeds for 1853, 1876, 1881 & 1900).
Listing NGR: SE2987333945
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings