History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The White House

A Grade II Listed Building in Rawcliffe & Clifton Without, York

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9694 / 53°58'9"N

Longitude: -1.1 / 1°6'0"W

OS Eastings: 459134

OS Northings: 452961

OS Grid: SE591529

Mapcode National: GBR NQRJ.NV

Mapcode Global: WHFC3.2HGC

Entry Name: The White House

Listing Date: 24 June 1983

Last Amended: 14 March 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256263

English Heritage Legacy ID: 465113

Location: York, YO30

County: York

Unitary Authority Ward: Rawcliffe & Clifton Without

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Clifton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
York

Listing Text


YORK

SE5952NW WATER END
1112-1/6/1179 (North West side)
24/06/83 No.28
The White House
(Formerly Listed as:
WATER END
No.28
Green Tree Cottage)

II

Public house, now house. Early C19, altered C20. Painted
roughcast with exposed brick side walls. Slate M-roof, with 2
gables facing road.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 2 main bays, with one below each gable.
The ground-floor windows project on timber brackets and have
slated pentices. They are of 3 lights with timber mullions.
The main 1st floor windows are of 3 lights with a transom and
have casements. In the centre there is a small casement
window. The central doorway has a roughcast chamfered
Tudor-arched surround, and a slated pentice on shaped timber
brackets. The door is partly glazed. The gable verges project.
Chimneys to left and right, with tall partly-rendered caps.
History.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The building was called the Green Tree in 1830 and kept by
George Holgate. In 1836 it was called the Sycamore Inn and
kept by Alice Holgate.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York:
RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-:
68).


Listing NGR: SE5913452961

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.