This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9608 / 53°57'38"N
Longitude: -1.0828 / 1°4'58"W
OS Eastings: 460273
OS Northings: 452021
OS Grid: SE602520
Mapcode National: GBR NQWM.CX
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.BPLZ
Entry Name: York Medical Society
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464821
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Guildhall
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Helen Stonegate with St Martin Coney Street
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/27/1022 (South East side)
York Medical Society
(Formerly Listed as:
House; now offices, headquarters of York Medical Society and
flats. Late C16, incorporating remains of earlier structures,
including probable crosswing of No.2 Coffee Yard (Barley Hall)
(qv); alterations, extensions and subdivisions of mid C17, mid
C18, early C19 and 1870; restored 1976. Original building
MATERIALS: entrance front rendered with planted
timber-framing; wing to left has ground floor in stretcher
bond brick, first floor of incised render; wing to right is
orange-grey brick in Flemish bond. Rear encased in
orange-brown brick, some Flemish bond, most random bond; first
floor of one block rendered. Plain tile and pantile roofs with
EXTERIOR: entrance front: gabled main block of 2 storeys and
attic, between projecting wings, 2 storeys to left, 2 storeys
and attic to right.
Main block ground floor filled by stone porch with heavy
dentilled cornice and truncated moulded pediment: beneath are
paired 6-panel doors with divided overlights, approached by
short flight of steps. 16-pane sash on first floor: two tiers
of 8-pane Yorkshire sashes to attic. To right, in angle with
wing, is an embattled rainwater head dated 1590.
Left wing: paired 12-pane sash windows on ground floor:
24-pane sash to first floor. Ground floor of gable end has
tripartite window: first floor has canted oriel with
3:6:3-pane lights. Right wing: scattered ground floor
fenestration. At left end, tall round-arched radial-glazed
staircase sash with painted stone sill. Ground floor of gable
end obscured by yard wall: first floor incorporates earlier
timber-framed gable truss on first floor.
Rear to garden: two gabled bays in centre, each of 2 storeys
with attics, right one with jettied attic and plain
bargeboards on brackets; to left, 3-storey gabled wing with
1-storey extension projecting at front; to right, single
2-storey bay terminating in 3-storey block. Centre bays have
margin-glazed and flush panelled door with radial fanlight to
right of centre: on each side are two 12-pane sash windows on
ground and first floors, those on first floor shorter: attic
windows are squat 6-pane sashes: all have painted stone sills.
Extension to left has canted French doors in glazed and
panelled screen in re-entrant with wing, and two 12-pane sash
windows. Wing has 16-pane sash windows and C20 openings on
first and second floors. To right, link bay has 4-pane fixed
light with timber lintel on ground floor; on first floor,
canted bay window with small-pane casements. End block has C20
tripartite windows on each floor in gable end, and 2-course
raised brick bands. Tumbled brick gable surmounted by
corbelled-out gabled dovecote. Return to garden has flight of
brick steps leading to C20 first floor doorway.
Right return: restored inserted 8-light ground floor window
with ovolo moulded mullions and transoms.
INTERIOR: not fully inspected. Left side. Ground floor: mid
C18 staircase has open string, slender turned balusters, two
to a tread, and moulded ramped-up handrail, wreathed at foot
around turned newel: matching dado rail to stairwell. Wing at
rear has fireplace with moulded bressumer. First floor: wing
at rear noted to have fireplace with composition mouldings.
Right side. Ground floor: early C19 staircase has straight
flight of stone steps with balustrade of cast-iron panels
incorporating anthemion and snake motifs. Room in front part
lined with C17 panelling. Dining room (now Lecture Room) has
plaster frieze of Greek fret and paterae beneath enriched
cornice. Library has fireplace of Ionic columns with frieze of
urns and garlanded medallions, flanked by round-arched niches.
First floor: landing spanned by arches springing from piers
encasing timber-frame posts. Room at rear lined with early C17
panelling with frieze of cabled fluting; bolection moulded
fireplace beneath overmantel with fluted engaged columns.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the 1590 rainwater head is the earliest
surviving in York. The building has had medical associations
since at least the early C19 when it belonged to the Anderson
family: at the end of the century it was the residence of the
noted antiquarian Dr Tempest Anderson, MD. It came into the
possession of the York Medical Society in 1944.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 229).
Listing NGR: SE6027352021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.