This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7342 / 51°44'3"N
Longitude: 0.6719 / 0°40'18"E
OS Eastings: 584600
OS Northings: 207320
OS Grid: TL846073
Mapcode National: GBR QM4.8P1
Mapcode Global: VHJK5.LNLY
Entry Name: Cistern House at Ngr Tl 8460 0732 in Garden of Orchard House (House Not Included)
Listing Date: 24 September 1971
Last Amended: 8 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257097
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464222
Location: Maldon, Maldon, Essex, CM9
Civil Parish: Maldon
Built-Up Area: Maldon
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Maldon All Saints with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL8407SE BEELEIGH ROAD
574-1/6/8 (South East side)
24/09/71 Cistern house at NGR TL 8460 0732 in
garden of Orchard House (house not
(Formerly Listed as:
Well House in garden of Little
Cistern house. 1587 and 1805. Red header-bond brick with Roman
cement-rendered dome. Circular brick structure with narrow
entrance door, enclosing water cistern. Over the door is a
stone lintel with panel inscribed 'REBUILT BY SUBSCRIPTION
1805' in Roman letters.
HISTORY: this is surviving remnant of public water supply
provided by Thomas Cannock in 1587.
The cistern is fed by a spring, to the south, the water then
fed via lead pipe to the pump in Cromwell Hill (qv). The
cistern also has an overflow into an adjacent artificial pond
and via an overflow pipe to the river below.
Listing NGR: TL8460007320
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings