This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6691 / 52°40'8"N
Longitude: -2.4799 / 2°28'47"W
OS Eastings: 367646
OS Northings: 308044
OS Grid: SJ676080
Mapcode National: GBR BW.4XWX
Mapcode Global: WH9D8.W59L
Entry Name: Disused Railway Tunnel Under Dawley to Wellington Road
Listing Date: 12 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463547
Location: Lawley and Overdale, Telford and Wrekin, TF4
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: Lawley and Overdale
Built-Up Area: Telford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Central Telford
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 60 NE
A4169 (DAWLEY ROAD), Dawley
Disused Railway Tunnel under Dawley- Wellington Road
Disused railway tunnel. Circa 1856 for the Wellington and Severn Junction Railway. Blue engineering bricks with stone dressings. Brick parabolic arch tunnel, with portal at either end with rusticated stone voussoirs and keyblock to the arch, stone bullnose cornice and parapet and splayed and ramped abutment wings with stone coping and small terminal piers. The tunnel is cut through the embankment of the road above. The Wellington and Severn Junction Railway was authorised in 1853. A short single track line from the main line to Horsehay was opened in 1857 and extended as far as Lightmoor in 1859. Although the Company was leased by GWR, initially most of the goods traffic was run by the Coalbrookdale Company.
This entry was subject to a Minor Spatial Amendment on 28 September 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings