History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hall Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in High Peak, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2583 / 53°15'29"N

Longitude: -1.9152 / 1°54'54"W

OS Eastings: 405754

OS Northings: 373477

OS Grid: SK057734

Mapcode National: GBR HZ2R.5Q

Mapcode Global: WHBBS.KC6H

Entry Name: Old Hall Hotel

Listing Date: 25 January 1951

Last Amended: 31 January 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1257847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 463396

Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak

Town: High Peak

District Council Ward: Buxton Central

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Buxton

Listing Text


BUXTON

SK0573SE THE SQUARE
616-1/4/77 (North side)
25/01/51 Old Hall Hotel
(Formerly Listed as:
THE CRESCENT
Old Hall Hotel)

GV II*

Town house, now hotel. 1572, altered 1672, rebuilt 1725-35,
extended mid C18 and 1795-1805, with late C19 refenestration
and C20 alterations. Originally built for the Earl and
Countess of Shrewsbury. Ashlar gritstone and render with
ashlar dressings and Welsh slate hipped roofs and stone
stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, with 2-storey and single-storey
additions, and basement to east facade.
Main front has 3-storey main block left, 5 windows arranged
1:3:1, with slightly projecting side wings. Plinth, raised
quoins and bands to wings, topped by moulded cornice and
rebuilt ashlar parapet.
Central doorway has Tuscan Doric columns and entablature,
moulded concave door surround, overlight and double doors.
Either side two 2/2 sashes in moulded surrounds, above central
2/2 sash within moulded round headed surround flanked by 2
tall 2/2 sashes in moulded surrounds, above again 5 similar
smaller sashes.
Later 2-storey wing to left has 6 windows arranged 3:3, with
plinth, first-floor sill band and moulded eaves. 6 large 2/2
sashes to ground floor and 6 smaller sashes above.
4-window single-storey range beyond with similar sashes.
East front has irregular 8-window front arranged 2:3:3, right
section 4 storeys. Quoins, plinth, bands and moulded cornice
with plain parapet partly rendered.
Left section has two 2/2 sashes to lower 2 floors and 2 narrow
4/4 sashes above.
Central section has central doorway with ashlar door surround
and above 2 single 2/2 windows in continuous vertical panel,
and either side 3-storey canted bay windows with similar
sashes, the upper bays added late C19. Right section has 3
round arched openings to ground floor and 3 cross casements
above with three 2/2 sashes above and above again 3 smaller
similar sashes.
INTERIOR: shows sections of original C16 building survive
encased within later additions. Surviving features include 3
ft. thick original walling, exposed wall studding to basement,


doorways with depressed arched lintels and chamfered and
stopped surrounds, some re-used, concealed mullion windows;
original plasterwork to first floor principal room with
encased beam with rolled mouldings. Second floor has blocked
4-light mullioned and transomed windows (concealed). Flues
have been removed.
The early C18 staircase rises from the entrance corridor.
The kitchen fireplace probably also early C18.
Later features include a C19 bow window to ground floor
office, positioned to overlook corridor.
HISTORY: until recently it was believed that the 1572 building
was demolished in 1670. The original building reputed to have
been one of many houses belonging to the Earl of Shrewsbury
used to imprison Mary Queen of Scots. Later guests included
Celia Fiennes (1697).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 115; Thornes R: The Old Hall Hotel ,
Buxton.; Morris C: The Journeys of Celia Fiennes: London:
1947-: 103).

Listing NGR: SK0575473477

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.