History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Samuel Turner Memorial Drinking Fountain

A Grade II Listed Building in High Peak, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.259 / 53°15'32"N

Longitude: -1.9135 / 1°54'48"W

OS Eastings: 405868

OS Northings: 373558

OS Grid: SK058735

Mapcode National: GBR HZ2R.JG

Mapcode Global: WHBBS.LB1X

Entry Name: Samuel Turner Memorial Drinking Fountain

Listing Date: 31 January 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1257899

English Heritage Legacy ID: 463337

Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak

Town: High Peak

Electoral Ward/Division: Buxton Central

Built-Up Area: Buxton (High Peak)

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Buxton

Listing Text


BUXTON

SK0573NE THE CRESCENT
616-1/3/87 (South East side)
Samuel Turner Memorial Drinking
Fountain

GV II

Drinking fountain surmounted by a lamp. 1878, restored late
C20. Ashlar with cast-iron lamp. 4 step octagonal ashlar base,
with square ashlar drinking fountain above.
Each face has a chamfered animal drinking bowl with rusticated
round arch, keystone and plain flanking pilasters. Above a
moulded round arch between Ionic pilasters topped by a
segmental pediment, with a marble bowl fed by water from a
carved ashlar lions head.
North-east face inscribed 1878/ ERECTED/ BY PUBLIC
SUBSCRIPTION/ AS A MEMORIAL OF/ SAMUEL TURNER/ WHO DIED OCT 4
1876. AGED 73 YEARS, south-east inscribed TREASURER TO THE/
DEVONSHIRE HOSPITAL AND/ BUXTON BATH CHARITY/ AND A MEMBER OF/
THE BUXTON LOCAL BOARD, south-west inscribed CHURCHWARDEN/ OF
THE PARISH/ DURING FORTY THREE YEARS and north-west inscribed
A NATIVE OF BUXTON/ AN ACTIVE AND USEFUL TOWNSMAN/ A GOOD
NEIGHBOUR/ AND A KIND FRIEND. Topped by an ashlar dome with a
very ornate iron standard supporting a large octagonal
lantern.


Listing NGR: SK0586873558

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.