This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2593 / 53°15'33"N
Longitude: -1.9138 / 1°54'49"W
OS Eastings: 405845
OS Northings: 373586
OS Grid: SK058735
Mapcode National: GBR HZ2R.GC
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.KBWQ
Entry Name: Buxton Thermal Baths
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257910
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463305
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Buxton Central
Built-Up Area: Buxton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573NE THE CRESCENT
616-1/3/80 (East side)
25/01/51 Buxton Thermal Baths
Thermal baths, now shops. 1852-53, rebuilt 1900, interior
reconstruction 1912, colonnade removed c1960, converted c1985.
By Henry Currey. Ashlar gritstone with ashlar dressings and
Welsh slate roof plus glass barrel vault.
PLAN: Rectangular around courtyard, now infilled.
EXTERIOR: single storey. Street front, 10 windows arranged
4:2:4. Tall rusticated pilasters to central bays with shorter
similar pilasters with panels above to wings, topped by
continuous entablature and balustrade, containing 2 central
panels inscribed BUXTON BATHS, with urn finials. 2 central
bays have rusticated round arch doorways with double glazed
doors and ornate fanlights. Either side 4 moulded round arches
with keystones and moulded imposts, with a single window, a
door and 2 windows, all round headed. To extreme left, narrow
single storey gateway with cornice.
Left return tiled elevation of 2 bays visible.
Right return a row of adjoining shops.
Rear has various separately roofed ranges.
INTERIOR: has an ornate iron column, belonging to the original
design, and the basic layout of the baths can still be seen, a
sunken bath is also displayed. The corridors have glazed and
coloured tiles (1900) and ornate tiled doorways, some round
headed with keystones, others square headed with cornice and
keystones, also shallow arched openings have been restored.
The decoration includes floriated swags, fruit and foliage.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 116).
Listing NGR: SK0584573586
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings