This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2585 / 53°15'30"N
Longitude: -1.9152 / 1°54'54"W
OS Eastings: 405756
OS Northings: 373501
OS Grid: SK057735
Mapcode National: GBR HZ2R.5M
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.KC79
Entry Name: Natural Mineral Baths
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463309
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Buxton Central
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573NE THE CRESCENT
616-1/3/76 (South West side)
25/01/51 Natural Mineral Baths
Natural mineral baths, now tourist information centre.
1851-53, altered 1923-24. By Henry Currey. Ashlar gritstone
with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate and part glazed roof.
EXTERIOR: single storey. Street front, 5 windows arranged
1:3:1. Projecting central section has rusticated pilasters and
between set back rusticated round arches topped with
entablature and parapet inscribed NATURAL MINERAL BATHS.
Central round headed doorway with double panel doors and
fanlight, flanked by single round headed windows. Set back
wings have pilasters and between set back rusticated round
arches topped with entablature and balustrade, each has a
single round headed window. All windows have early C20
INTERIOR: retains original layout. The entrance leads into
foyer, to right central hall with stained glass roof light and
rooms radiating off. To left of entrance access to source of
the spa water. Also from foyer is access to tiled corridor
with 2 baths leading off, male and female, both tiled and the
latter bath rounded to end with 7 cast-iron columns with
guilloche railing acting as supports to glazed skylight above.
Changing rooms, one a communal room with wooden partitions and
3 small sunken individual baths are served by a pair of
cubicles to each. A doorway, now blocked, once connected with
the Old Hall.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 116; The Derbyshire Heritage series:
Bower A: The Water Cure: Derby. Hall and Sons: 1985-: 12).
Listing NGR: SK0575673501
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings