This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2587 / 53°15'31"N
Longitude: -1.9143 / 1°54'51"W
OS Eastings: 405815
OS Northings: 373522
OS Grid: SK058735
Mapcode National: GBR HZ2R.CK
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.KCN5
Entry Name: Pump Room
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463315
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Buxton Central
Built-Up Area: Buxton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573NE THE CRESCENT
616-1/3/81 (South side)
25/01/51 Pump Room
Marked on the OS map as St Ann's Well.
Pump room, later micrarium now pump room. 1894, domes removed
1912, converted late C20. By H Currey. Ashlar with ashlar
dressings. Flat roof.
EXTERIOR: single storey. Street front, 7 windows arranged
1:5:1. Central section has Tuscan Doric pilasters with
entablature inscribed ST ANN'S WELL and balustrade, 5 round
moulded arches with keystones and moulded imposts each with a
single 2-light window with fanlight. Either side single
slightly projecting rusticated square pavilions with
pediments, each has a round moulded arch with keystone and
moulded imposts containing C20 double doors and overlight.
Similar articulation to side and rear facades of pavilions.
Returns have 2 windows between rusticated piers with round
moulded arches with keystones and moulded imposts containing
2-light windows with fanlights.
Rear has curved wall with moulded parapet and 5 casement
windows with a central 3-light window flanked by single light
windows and flanked by 2-light windows.
INTERIOR: retains open hall and many original features, such
as the shallow tri-partite coved ceiling, plastered beams with
decoration, marble pillars, plaster roundels, tiled floors,
Art Nouveau glass, panelled doors with oval overlights. The
pump or well reputed to survive in situ, in sunken basement to
the rear of building.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 116).
Listing NGR: SK0581573522
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings