This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2642 / 53°15'51"N
Longitude: -1.9012 / 1°54'4"W
OS Eastings: 406684
OS Northings: 374142
OS Grid: SK066741
Mapcode National: GBR HZ5P.5K
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.R6VX
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463239
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Barms
Built-Up Area: Buxton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Fairfield St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK07SE ST PETER'S ROAD, Fairfield
616-1/2/95 (North East side)
Church of St Peter
Church. 1839, altered 1895-97, 1902 and late C20. By William
Swan, village schoolmaster, on site of earlier church. Coursed
millstone grit with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs.
STYLE: Gothick with Gothic Revival additions.
PLAN: west tower and nave. South porch added 1897 and
transepts, chancel, south-east vestry and north-east organ
chamber added in 1902.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth. Original nave has chamfered eaves
and corner pinnacles. 3-stage west tower has rusticated quoins
and single lancets to both lower stages on 3 exposed sides.
Third stage has 2-light Y-tracery bell opening to each face,
topped with moulded cornice battlements and corner pinnacles.
Nave has three 2-light Y-tracery windows to each side and to
south a projecting gabled porch, with moulded pointed arched
doorway with double plank doors and ornate iron hinges, with
date and inscription in gable apex.
South transept has pointed arched doorway and above a 2-light
pointed arched reticulated tracery window. Beyond south-east
vestry has pointed arched doorway flanked by single lancets
with a circular window above.
Chancel has single side lancets and a 3-light pointed arched
window with reticulated tracery.
Organ chamber has a single lancet and north transept has a
2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery.
All windows have hoodmoulds and carved label stops, and the
later additions to east have angle buttressing.
INTERIOR: plain stonework to original building, later
additions whitewashed except for gritstone dressings.
Nave of 3 bays. Wooden gallery to west end on cast-iron
columns, modified in 1977. 1859 king post roof. Open benches.
FITTINGS: include stone font possibly from earlier church.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 214; The Story of St Peter's
Listing NGR: SK0668474142
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings