History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tomb to Philip Heacock 20 Metres West of Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in High Peak, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2589 / 53°15'32"N

Longitude: -1.9177 / 1°55'3"W

OS Eastings: 405587

OS Northings: 373548

OS Grid: SK055735

Mapcode National: GBR HZ1R.MH

Mapcode Global: WHBBS.JB1Z

Entry Name: Tomb to Philip Heacock 20 Metres West of Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 31 January 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1257987

English Heritage Legacy ID: 463211

Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak

Town: High Peak

District Council Ward: Corbar

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Buxton

Listing Text


BUXTON

SK0573NE ST JOHN'S ROAD
616-1/3/70 (North side)
Tomb to Philip Heacock 20m west of
Church of St John the Baptist

GV II

Tomb to Philip Heacock. 1851. Ashlar gritstone with copper
inscription plaque and iron railings. Square plan.
Tall open arched canopy with dome, each face has a moulded
round headed arch with keystone supported on square pilasters
with bases, topped with plain pedimented decoration with
laurel wreath and acroteria at corners. This encloses a
weathered altar memorial with copper inscribed plaque to the
east face and the Duke of Devonshire's ducal arms to the north
face. This alter supports an ovoid urn with gadrooned base and
moulded top.
The memorial has an enclosing gritstone kerb with iron
railings; the main verticals with urn and steeple finials, the
others with bifurcating stems and steeple finials.
Philip Heacock was the Duke of Devonshire's agent from
1801-1851.


Listing NGR: SK0558773548

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.