This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2581 / 53°15'29"N
Longitude: -1.9179 / 1°55'4"W
OS Eastings: 405575
OS Northings: 373459
OS Grid: SK055734
Mapcode National: GBR HZ1R.LR
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.HCYL
Entry Name: The Central Hall and Attached Promenade
Listing Date: 4 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257993
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463217
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Corbar
Built-Up Area: Buxton (High Peak)
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573SE ST JOHN'S ROAD, Pavilion Gardens
616-1/4/108 (South side)
04/10/88 The Central Hall and attached
Central hall and promenade, now coffee shop, restaurant and
small shops. 1870, central hall burnt 1982 , rebuilt 1984. By
Edward Milner. Narrow coursed millstone grit with ashlar
dressings, cast-iron and glass under Welsh slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: single storey long range and two 2-storey halls.
South front 18 windows, divided into 15 window single storey
range to east and 3 window 2 storey block to west. East range
has low stone walls and rusticated ashlar pilasters between
windows, glazed roofs with ornate cast-iron ridge railings
with crown finials. From left to right a gabled entrance with
double doors and sidelights, a 4-light, a 2-light, a 3-light
and a 2-light cross casement window, then 2 doorways both with
glazed doors and overlights, then six 5-light similar windows,
a pair of double doors and beyond a 2-light cross casement.
Set-back behind bays 4, 5 and 6, a 2 storey square hall with 3
windows to 3 glazed facades, under glazed hipped roof. Central
3-light windows flanked by 2-light windows with cast-iron
columns between and at corners.
Central, square plan hall to west, 2 storeys, 3 windows,
projects slightly. Divided 3:5:3 lights with window panels
between floors, central section projects, with broad pediment
to top. Ground floor has 9-pane lights and upper floor 12-pane
lights. Tall cast-iron columns at corners and between windows,
all with very ornate cast-iron capitals. Broad fascia board at
cornice level, and slate roof topped by central octagonal
cupola with 8 round headed windows and 2 stage octagonal
INTERIOR: open well to central hall with some free standing
cast-iron pillars; they are octagonal on spreading base and
have ornate capitals. The base bears the inscription N
Bailey/SON AND CO /engineers /MILES /PLATTING /MANCHESTER.
There are also ornate iron roof trusses, supported on stone
corbels to rear and engaged iron columns to front.
This hall and promenade were built as part of the complex of
entertainment buildings constructed on the north side of the
Pavilion Gardens, which were donated to the town by the 7th
Duke of Devonshire.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 117).
Listing NGR: SK0557573459
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings