This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2583 / 53°15'29"N
Longitude: -1.9169 / 1°55'0"W
OS Eastings: 405643
OS Northings: 373479
OS Grid: SK056734
Mapcode National: GBR HZ1R.SQ
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.JCFG
Entry Name: The Conservatory
Listing Date: 4 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463220
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Corbar
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573SE ST JOHN'S ROAD, Pavilion Gardens
616-1/4/106 (South side)
04/10/88 The Conservatory
Conservatory. 1870-1871, addition 1903, late C20 additions.
Designed by Edward Milner. Cast-iron and glass, gritstone rock
masonry with ashlar dressings and hipped Welsh slate roof.
EXTERIOR: tall storey with hipped roof, single-storey wing to
rear, and single storey stone porch added to front in 1903.
North entrance dated 1903, has central glazed double doors
with overlights and either side rock-faced stone walls topped
with 4 Tuscan Doric columns supporting a continuous
entablature with round headed projecting windows with glazing
bars. Another similar window between columns on left return,
entrance continues to left with 3-light panel, then set at an
angle a further glazed section with access doorway breaking
through lower walling.
Tall 2-storey block to left with hipped glass roof to west,
square plan with stone north wall, each glass facade divided
into 3 by tall cast-iron columns with similar columns at
South front has 7 windows arranged 2:3:2, each glazing bar
window 15-pane to ground floor and 12-pane to upper floors
with timber panels between. Attached to left corner column at
upper floor an ornate iron scrolled bracket supporting a
Single storey conservatory range to west in 2 stages, 10
windows arranged 4:6, those to left set at an angle. Hipped
slate roof to right range. South facade has low ashlar wall
with 6 window with columns between, each 3-light and 15-pane
with transoms and 3-pane tops per light. Similar 4-window
range to left with similar fenestration plus double glazed
doors in centre of right bay. Above an ornate iron parapet
with crown finials.
INTERIOR: ornate engaged columns to tall storey. Single storey
range has bracketed ornate iron roof trusses supported on
cast-iron engaged columns with ornate capitals and 6-panel
doors in raised surrounds.
This conservatory was built as part of the complex of
entertainment buildings constructed on the north side of
Pavilion Gardens, which were donated to the town by the 7th
Duke of Devonshire.
Listing NGR: SK0564373479
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings