This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.258 / 53°15'28"N
Longitude: -1.9186 / 1°55'6"W
OS Eastings: 405527
OS Northings: 373442
OS Grid: SK055734
Mapcode National: GBR HZ1R.FT
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.HCLQ
Entry Name: The Octagonal
Listing Date: 21 December 1970
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463221
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Corbar
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573SE ST JOHN'S ROAD, Pavilion Gardens
616-1/4/104 (South side)
21/12/70 The Octagonal
(Formerly Listed as:
Concert hall. 1875, extended C20 and restored 1994. Designed
by Robert Ripon Duke. Stone foundations to cast-iron, timber
and glass structure under banded slate roof.
EXTERIOR: single tall storey. 8 sides with gabled entrance
fronts to north and south. South side has 7 windows divided by
tall square cast-iron columns, with moulded capitals and
bases, these window lights are arranged 1:2:3:2:1, all with
stone bases and three horizontal divisions, 12 panes, 3 panes
and 12 panes with curved iron brackets at eaves. Central
section has glazed double doors and margin lights to windows,
topped with broad glazed pediment with tripartite fanlight and
side lights. Attached to the corners on the upper floor are 2
ornate iron scrolled brackets supporting single lamps.
North entrance front similar though obscured by later
alterations and additions.
Other fronts have 4 windows, with window lights arranged
2:3:3:2 with similar glazing and dividing columns. Some fronts
obscured by earlier and later buildings. All other fronts
topped with ornate iron railings.
Slate roof has 8 sided shallow hipped roof and then central
octagonal dome with a single dormer window to each face. These
dormers have tripartite windows with round headed central
lights, with margin light glazing, pilaster surrounds
supporting entablature with urns and central iron finial. Dome
is topped with cast-iron crown.
The exterior rain water goods bear the inscription: R & J
Rankin /Union Foundry /Liverpool.
INTERIOR: paired cast-iron columns part fluted with ornate
capitals support the central dome section, with the roof line
sloping on cast-iron ribs to the outer edges. Decoration
includes ornate spandrels and trellises. There are lunettes to
north and south. An inserted stage and ceiling obscure some of
the original structure.
HISTORY: this Concert Hall was built as part of the
entertainment buildings constructed on the north side of the
Pavilion Gardens, which were donated to the town by the 7th
Duke of Devonshire.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 117).
Listing NGR: SK0552773442
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings