This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2589 / 53°15'32"N
Longitude: -1.9172 / 1°55'2"W
OS Eastings: 405617
OS Northings: 373550
OS Grid: SK056735
Mapcode National: GBR HZ1R.QG
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.JB7Z
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258025
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463208
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Corbar
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573NE ST JOHN'S ROAD
616-1/3/69 (North side)
25/01/51 Church of St John the Baptist
Church. 1802-1811 with portico infilled to form chancel in
1896. Designed by John White. Ashlar gritstone, with ashlar
dressings, slate roof with stone stacks.
EXTERIOR: plinth, rusticated quoins and moulded eaves band and
cornice. West front has 4 giant Doric pilasters topped by a
broad pediment, with central doorway in moulded ashlar
surround with hood and double panel doors with overlight
divided into 5 round headed lights. Either side single windows
with glazing bars, and above 3 circular windows. Tower rises
from above western pediment on square base with cupola above,
this has 4 round arches with panelled pilasters between and
balusters between. Above octagonal panel stage with ball
finials and copper octagonal dome with finial. South front has
projecting centre topped with pediment and a single round
headed window in moulded surround. Either side single similar
round headed windows in moulded surrounds, and beyond set back
ashlar sections with giant pilasters and moulded door
surrounds with hoods, that to left blind, that to right with
double panel doors.
North front similar to south front.
East front has former portico with giant square corner columns
and circular columns in antis, now in-filled. Central round
arched Venetian window with full overlight flanked by blind
round headed windows with narrow slit windows all linked by a
sill band, and below each of the outer windows a segment
headed window. Whole front topped by broad pediment with panel
INTERIOR: plain with pilastered walls, coved plaster ceiling.
No aisles but shallow transepts. Baptistery 1876. West gallery
with wooden supporting columns added 1911. Chancel with
decorative mosaics and "opus sectile" side panels to altar,
FITTINGS: include pulpit of 1867 designed by Henry Currey.
Font 1875. Reredos 1896-7. The carved choir and clergy stalls
incorporate rams heads as wrought-iron brackets. Organ by W
STAINED GLASS: 2 windows to the North side are by CE Kempe
1897-1903. Also one window to the South side (1920) and the
East window are reputed to be by Kempe and Co. There are 3
memorial tablets to the Duke of Devonshire's agents. The
north-west window is reputed to be original.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 115; Leach John: The Book Of Buxton:
Listing NGR: SK0561773550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings