This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.326 / 51°19'33"N
Longitude: -2.0079 / 2°0'28"W
OS Eastings: 399547
OS Northings: 158542
OS Grid: ST995585
Mapcode National: GBR 2V6.WQ3
Mapcode Global: VHB4G.4XWW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258968
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445960
Location: Potterne, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Potterne
Built-Up Area: Potterne
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
ST 9958 POTTERNE HIGH STREET
14/142 Church of St Mary
Anglican Parish Church, C13 with some C15 work to tower, restored
1870-2 by E. Christian. Rubble stone with stone tiled roofs and
coped gables. A remarkably uniform E.E. design of aisleless nave,
chancel and transepts with central tower and north and south
porches. Long lancet lights throughout linked by continuous
hoodmould and sill course. Clasping buttresses. Four-window
nave with 3-light west window, 3-window chancel with 3-light east
window, 2-window transepts with two lights to north and south
walls. Transept east walls have 3 grouped lancets. Chancel
south side has low door with depressed arch. Large coped gabled
north porch with 2-chamfer pointed arch. Large ashlar south porch
with 3-buttress sides and chamfer-and-hollow moulded doorway.
Centre tower has fine ashlar bell stage with 2 large 2-light plate-
traceried bell-openings each side, infilled with C15 ashlar
panelling. Shafted colonnette between openings. C15 pierced
panelled battlements, pinnacles and polygonal south-east stair
Interior: severely regular, without carved elaboration. Sill-
course and hoodmould to windows as outside, 2-chamfer tower arches
and stepped 5-light east lancets with Purbeck shafting, the outer
two lancets blank. C19 roofs: rafter-roof with braced collars to
nave, boarded roofs with some stencilling to chancel and transepts.
Boarded tower roof with 1598 on painted panel. Fittings: chancel
has good c1870-5 stained glass in all windows but centre south
light which is of c1860. Piscina on south wall, aumbry on north
wall. South transept is blocked by large organ over vestry
screen, 1936 by Sir C. Nicholson. South window glass of c1880.
North transept has numerous plaques, on east wall various memorials
to the Grubbe family of Eastwell. C15 wood pulpit on C19 base.
Nave has C15 octagonal font on shafted base. At west end, rare
Anglo-Saxon tub font with rim inscribed in Latin (Psalm 42.1).
Above, fine carved Royal Arms, possibly C17 with Hanoverian arms
replacing Stuart. Each side of west window commandment boards and
large painted panels of Moses and Aaron from dismantled altar-piece
of 1723. Fine west window glass of c1880. Nave north door is
possibly C13, lattice-framed. On south wall plaque to Kent family -
by Nollekens, c1799, and large neo-classical memorial with female
figure by an urn, to J. Spearing, d.1831, signed E.H. Baily. Two
lancets each side have similar glass of c1902 and c1906.
Potterne was a manor of the bishops of Salisbury and pure E.E.
style has similarities to Salisbury Cathedral.
(N. Pevsner Wiltshire 1975 371)
Listing NGR: ST9955258546
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings