This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2569 / 53°15'24"N
Longitude: -1.914 / 1°54'50"W
OS Eastings: 405832
OS Northings: 373328
OS Grid: SK058733
Mapcode National: GBR HZ2S.D6
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.KDSJ
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463185
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Buxton Central
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573SE MARKET PLACE
616-1/4/61 (North side)
Town hall. 1887-8, altered C20. Designed by W Pollard of
Manchester. Coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings and
steeply pitched Welsh slate roofs with ornamental cast-iron
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, with attic and basement. North 5 window
symmetrical front, articulated with rusticated pilasters,
moulded entablature and paired Tuscan pilasters above with
cornice, entablature and plain coped parapet.
Slightly projecting central frontispiece has moulded round
arched entrance with double panel doors and curved keystone
and ornate carved spandrels, flanked by broad rusticated
pilasters with panels. Central steps have flanking walls
topped with 4 ornate iron lamps. Either side 2-light sashes
with moulded ashlar surrounds and beyond single tripartite
sashes in similar surrounds. Above central Venetian window
flanked by pairs of Corinthian columns supporting pediment,
topped by panelled section with parapet, urns and tall
pyramidal roof with iron railings. Either side pairs of round
headed sashes in moulded surrounds with pilasters and
keystones, beyond single Venetian windows in similar
surrounds, above small gables with date panels topped with
South 5-window symmetrical front, articulated with banded
pilasters, moulded entablature, pairs of pilasters with
cornice and coped parapet. Central entrance with double panel
doors and sidelights plus carved round headed centre. Either
side 2 round headed openings with moulded arches and
keystones, those to left with roller shutters and those to
right with 3-light C20 windows. Above central Venetian window
with moulded ashlar surround, flanked by single sashes in
similar surrounds, flanked by Venetian windows. Central tower
has raised attic with 3 circular windows and a pediment. Above
square tower with clock under segmental pediment to each face,
topped with octagonal cupola of 8 Corinthian columns and a
bell canted dome with finial. End bays have tall pavilion
roofs with cast-iron railings.
Side facades have end pavilions reflecting main fronts, with
between, single storey ground floor with paired windows and
set back above round headed first-floor windows with
buttresses between to former ballroom.
INTERIOR: altered and sub-divided C20. 1st floor ball room now
offices. Originally the building had 3 staircases down to
cellars which were barrel vaulted and contained market stalls.
2 opposing staircases survive that lead up from the central
corridor; they are of cast-iron with wooden rails. Some wood
panelling, panelled doors and mosaic flooring survives. Also
some contemporary furnishings.
Clock in tower given by Duke of Devonshire's tenants (1889) in
memory of the assassination of Lord Frederick Cavendish,
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 113).
Listing NGR: SK0583273328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings