This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9693 / 53°58'9"N
Longitude: -1.0983 / 1°5'53"W
OS Eastings: 459248
OS Northings: 452960
OS Grid: SE592529
Mapcode National: GBR NQSJ.0V
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.3H8D
Entry Name: 16, Clifton Green
Listing Date: 24 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463129
Location: York, YO30
Unitary Authority Ward: Clifton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Clifton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: York
SE5952NW CLIFTON GREEN
1112-1/6/210 (South side)
House. Built shortly after 1836. Mottled brick with limestone
ashlar dressings. Slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Facade has one-bay gable at the left with
a 2-light mullioned window to each floor, both with leaded
glazing and with an heraldic shield in coloured glass in each
light. The ground-floor lights have shouldered arches to the
heads, and the lights of the upper window are trefoiled. The
gable is coped. The right-hand return wall is blind except for
a one-light window with shouldered head on the ground floor.
Set back at the right, in the angle with a projecting wing, is
a 2-storey turret of square plan with a pyramid roof. On the
ground floor it has a doorway with chamfered surround,
shouldered lintel, and boarded door with iron strap hinges.
Above, at 1st floor level, there is a chamfered slit window.
The right-hand return wall of the turret has a similar window
at an intermediate level. The turret roof has lead rolls at
the angles, a finial, and a pierced metal weather vane with
the initials 'JR'. Chimneys on left-hand return wall of main
range, and towards right behind entrance turret.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as a gardener's cottage for the Roper
family, owners of Clifton Croft, Greencliffe Drive (qv).
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York:
RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-:
Listing NGR: SE5924852960
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings