This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9663 / 53°57'58"N
Longitude: -1.0928 / 1°5'34"W
OS Eastings: 459611
OS Northings: 452623
OS Grid: SE596526
Mapcode National: GBR NQTK.6Y
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.5KWR
Entry Name: Hall Range and Chapel at St Peters School
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259235
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463123
Location: York, YO30
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Olave with St Giles
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/7/205 (South West side)
14/06/54 Hall range and Chapel at St Peter's
(Formerly Listed as:
C19 Block and Chapel at Royal School
of St Peter)
School hall and attached chapel. Hall 1838, extended at rear
c1850; chapel 1861-2. Original building by John Harper; chapel
by JB and W Atkinson. Front of hall range faced with limestone
ashlar; elsewhere of red brick in Flemish bond with stone
dressings; brick stacks. Chapel of coursed small stone blocks
on moulded plinth, with ashlar dressings and slate roof.
EXTERIOR: hall range on moulded plinth has 2-storey gabled
frontispiece flanked by 1-storey 3-bay ranges with 2-storey
gabled crosswings at each end: frontispiece and end bays
project and have octagonal corner turrets. Frontispiece
turrets are of 3 stages, defined by bands of quatrefoil
tracery, the lower extending the full width of front and
incorporating corbel heads. Ground stages have blind sunk
panels; the second, niches with pedestals and crocketed gabled
canopies; upper stages pierced by pairs of traceried lights.
At the head is coved cornice incorporating corbel heads and
grotesques beneath embattled parapet. Entrance in centre is
casement moulded 4-centred arch with panelled double doors
flanked by cinquefoiled niches with quatrefoiled spandrels.
Above is 6 light panel traceried oriel window surmounted by
parapet pierced with cinquefoiled tracery. Gable apex has
defaced shield of arms beneath weathered canopy surmounted by
Crosswings are flanked by slender 3-stage turrets, the top
stage consisting of blind trefoiled niches beneath embattled
parapet. Windows project as shallow 4-light oriels with
2-tiers of cinquefoiled tracery surmounted by embattled
parapets. Moulded sillstring continues over 1-storey ranges:
moulded string to gable coping incorporates corbel heads.
1-storey ranges have three traceried square-headed windows
beneath return stopped hoodmoulds. Coved eaves string with
corbel heads beneath embattled parapet.
Chapel: apsidal chancel, 6-bay nave, north door and west
bellcote. Apse is of 5 bays separated by gabled buttresses;
each contains a 2-light traceried window with 2-centred head
beneath hoodmould with foliate corbel stops and full width
sloped sill band. Nave north side articulated by 1-stage
buttresses. Shallow square porch with embattled parapet has
board double doors with wrought-iron hinges in 2-centred
chamfered arch with hoodmould: above is truncated window with
traceried head in stilted 2-centred arch. Other bays have
2-light windows with ogee trefoiled lights and quatrefoil
tracery. West end is gabled and has central weathered buttress
supporting gabled bellcote. Buttress is flanked by traceried
windows of 2 trefoiled lights beneath corbel-stopped
hoodmoulds. Bellcote has single opening and is surmounted by
wheel cross. Corbelled eaves course beneath coved coping
encircles nave and chancel. Windows generally have geometrical
tracery and square leaded lights.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Originally built as a Preprietary School by a company formed
by leading York citizens. In 1844 purchased by Dean and
Chapter and amalgamated with St Peter's School.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York:
RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-:
Listing NGR: SE5961152623
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings