This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.939 / 50°56'20"N
Longitude: -1.3874 / 1°23'14"W
OS Eastings: 443140
OS Northings: 115688
OS Grid: SU431156
Mapcode National: GBR RSX.YL
Mapcode Global: FRA 76ZM.HBG
Entry Name: Church of St Alban and Church Hall
Listing Date: 28 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463067
Location: Southampton, SO16
County: City of Southampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Swaythling
Built-Up Area: Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Swaythling, Southampton St Alban
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU41 NW BURGESS ROAD, Swaythling
983-0/7/10015 Church of St Alban and Church Hall
Anglican church. 1933, by Welch, Cachemaille-Day and Lander. Rendered brick with Weldon stone dressings. Clay plain tile roofs with gabled ends. PLAN: Cruciform plan with altar under the crossing tower and Lady Chapel in the chancel, north and south transepts, 3-bay nave with wide aisles; the nave was intended to be longer and west end was completed later. Attached to the south transept is the coeval church hall. Gothic style. EXTERIOR: Chancel and north transept have 5-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arches, the nave west window has 2-centred arch and Geometric tracery and the aisles have 3-light straight-head Perpendicular windows. Large, but squat, crossing tower with diagonal buttresses, circular stair-turret on the SE corner, battlements and 3-light straight-head Perpendicular windows in the top stage. Later porch with flat roof on the west end. Attached to the south transept the church hall with large wooden mullion-transom windows with hipped roofs above the eaves, the south end with hipped roof with lower eaves and central gable set back with Tudor arch doorway; later additions to east side of church hall. INTERIOR: Spacious interior with plastered walls and stone arches. Wide nave and aisles with 3-bay double-chamfered 4-centred arch arcades and large moulded 2-centred crossing arches without capitals, the east and south arches dying into the round stair-turret. Roof ceiled by boarded panels has tie-beams and tall crown-posts. Furnishings complete: Altar under the crossing, simple wooden altar rail with solid low side screens to sanctuary, pulpit and seating and polygonal font with cover. Church hall roof is ceiled with plywood and has a stage at the north end. SOURCES: Buildings of England, page 574. The Architect and Building News, June 30th, 1933, pp 384-391.
Listing NGR: SU4518915058
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings