This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.188 / 53°11'16"N
Longitude: -1.4611 / 1°27'39"W
OS Eastings: 436107
OS Northings: 365792
OS Grid: SK361657
Mapcode National: GBR 69S.3FY
Mapcode Global: WHDFN.J4GB
Entry Name: Manor House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259350
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462982
Location: Ashover, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S42
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Ashover
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ashover All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK36NE ASHOVER PRESS
1264- /6/10014 Manor House Farmhouse
Former farmhouse, most recently public house, undergoing refurbishment as a dwelling at the time of inspection (01/97). Dated 1669, altered and enlarged in early C18, with further additions and alterations in C19 and C20. Coursed, squared Coal Measures sandstone rubble, with gritstone dressings and quoins. Ashlar chimneys to 3 gables, and one external stack to centre of rear wall. Stone slates to 3 roof slopes, concrete slates to front slope. Double depth plan of 2 phases. FRONT ELEVATION (south): 2 storeys, 2 bays, with C17 window surrounds to former chamfer-mullioned windows to ground and first floors of end bays. Present central doorway enclosed by projecting single storey wing, built of artificial stone and not of special interest. SIDE ELEVATION (west) with double gables, coped with kneelers to the outer slopes. Left gable with surround to former first floor chamfer-mullioned window beneath hood mould which forms part of continuous string course extending across the right-hand gable. Above a datestone which reads 'S.S. 1669'. Altered window opening to ground floor with C20 frame. Blocked inserted doorway to right. Right-hand gable with unbonded butt joint against quoins of left gable. Single C17 to left side of ground floor. REAR ELEVATION (north) with centrally-placed external stone stack rising from chamfered plinth. Lower masonry C17, that above eaves level C19 ashlar. Within disturbed masonry to right, stacked 2-light chamfer-mullioned windows, the lower opening now blocked. Inserted opening to left side first floor with C19 horizontally-sliding sash. SIDE ELEVATION (east) with C19 single storey addition to front gable, possibly originally a dairy. INTERIOR: ground floor to front range with substantial chamfered spine beams and exposed joists throughout. West room has large C18 hearth to gable wall with massive lintel supported on jowelled jambs. East room with projecting hearth breast set beneath bressumer beam, and now with C20 surround. Curved bar settle with high back as baffle partition to present entry. Rear range with C20 bar counter to east room, and with servery openings in partition to serve the west room. Substantial spine beams to both rooms. First floor to rear range with inserted or replacement ceiling beams and joists. Above, C17 single purlin roof, with wind braces and 3 pegged collar and tie beam trusses, the outer trusses set close to the masonry of the gables. Front range with plainer roof timbering, without trusses, the purlins bearing upon masonry walling. Blocked single light C17 window exposed in west range rear wall with diamond pattern leaded light and saddle bars.
Listing NGR: SK3610765792
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings