This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2565 / 53°15'23"N
Longitude: -1.9166 / 1°54'59"W
OS Eastings: 405662
OS Northings: 373284
OS Grid: SK056732
Mapcode National: GBR HZ1S.VB
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.JDKT
Entry Name: Carlisle House
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259385
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462931
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Buxton Central
Built-Up Area: Buxton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573SE BROAD WALK
616-1/4/14 (South East side)
Villa or boarding house, now house. 1869. Possibly by Sir
Joseph Paxton for the Duke of Devonshire. Coursed millstone
grit with ashlar dressings and shallow hipped Welsh slate roof
and 2 stone stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. Chamfered plinth and bracketed
eaves. Double fronted, 3-windows range. Central doorway with
pilaster surround and cornice inscribed CARLISLE HOUSE, and
double glazed doors and overlight. Above a 2/2 sash in a
moulded ashlar surround. Either side are single 2-storey
canted bay windows with hipped slate roofs and 2/2 plain
sashes. Above again 3 gabled through-eaves dormer windows with
a C20 window and two 2/2 sashes, below the central window a
Right return, 3 windows with through-eaves gabled dormers and
a doorway to the right.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The Broad Walk comprises a series of Victorian villas and a
walk overlooking the Pavilion Gardens originally laid out by
Paxton c1850, though most of the surrounding houses were built
by speculative developers. Some are reputed to be designed in
detail by his pupil Edward Milner from 1871, and built by
Saunders & Woolcott of London for the 7th Duke.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 117).
Listing NGR: SK0566273284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings