This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2538 / 53°15'13"N
Longitude: -1.9188 / 1°55'7"W
OS Eastings: 405516
OS Northings: 372976
OS Grid: SK055729
Mapcode National: GBR HZ1T.DB
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.HGJY
Entry Name: The Argyle
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259386
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462932
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Buxton Central
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0572NE BROAD WALK
616-1/6/15 (South East side)
Nos.24 AND 25
The Argyle (No.25)
Pair of semi-detached villas or boarding houses now house and
residential home for the elderly. Mid C19. Possibly by Sir
Joseph Paxton for the Duke of Devonshire. Coursed millstone
grit rubble, with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof with 3
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, double-fronted, 6-window range in all.
Projecting boxed eaves supported on shaped modillion brackets.
6-window range; 1, 3, 4 and 6 to 2nd floor are of 3 lights
with chamfered stone mullions. Ground floor of 6 bays.
Entrances are in bays 2 and 5. They comprise part-glazed doors
with similar side panels and shallow arched overlight, in
moulded surround with prominent shaped keystone. Above the
doors are 2/2 plain sashes.
2-storey canted bays flank main entrances; they are hipped to
top, with moulding, have panelled aprons between the floors
and shallow arched heads to lights. All windows (except side
lights) are 2/2 sashes. 2nd floor has single 2/2 and
tripartite sashes. Sill bands to 1st and 2nd floor and a
lintel band to ground. Similar 2-window return.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The Broad Walk comprises a series of Victorian villas and a
walk overlooking the Pavilion Gardens originally laid out by
Paxton c1850, though most of the surrounding houses were built
by speculative developers. Some are reputed to be designed in
detail by his pupil Edward Milner from 1871, and built by
Saunders & Woolcott of London for the 7th Duke.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 117).
Listing NGR: SK0551672976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings