This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2538 / 53°15'13"N
Longitude: -1.9157 / 1°54'56"W
OS Eastings: 405722
OS Northings: 372975
OS Grid: SK057729
Mapcode National: GBR HZ2T.1B
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.JGZY
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259392
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462938
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Buxton Central
Built-Up Area: Buxton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0572NE CHURCH STREET
616-1/6/47 (West side (off))
25/01/51 Church of St Anne
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Anne)
Parish church. 1625, incorporating earlier building, 1715
vestry added, 1841 refurbished, 1894 enlarged and 1956 roof
restored. Rendered rubble, and dressed stone with ashlar
dressings, and stone slate roof with plain cross finial to
east and gabled bell-cote to west.
PLAN: originally of simple rectangular plan, now L-plan.
EXTERIOR: single storey. North side irregular 5-window range
with from left to right a 2-light mullion window, a square
single light window, a 3-light mullion window and a similar
2-light window, then a projecting porch with coped gable,
cross finial and doorway with shouldered surround, plank door
and strap hinges, inner door has chamfered arched surround
with door hung on gudgeon pins.
East front has through stones and exposed foundations visible.
Single flat arched window with glazing bars and C20 glass. The
east wall of the vestry is blank.
South side has irregular 4-window range with from left to
right a 3-light and a 2-light mullion windows and 2 single
light window possibly mullioned originally. The vestry at
right angles is cellared, with a door in the south-west angle,
and a pair of long windows with flush ashlar surrounds to the
south end gable. West side has single round window in
INTERIOR: of 5 and 1/2 bays. Open trusses to Queen post roof,
with staggered purlins and windbraces. The tie beams are
heavily adzed, chamfered and stopped. Painted wooden tryptych
and painted ceiling to sanctuary (angels saints and vines).
Fittings: Saxon font with inscribed date of 1625. Some re-used
Jacobean woodwork. Fine range of C18 wall monuments .C19 and
early C20 stained glass; a window to the south side with 1906
GSA, and 2 windows (north side) by JE Nuttgens 1947.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 113; Stark JJ: St Anne's Church,
Listing NGR: SK0572272975
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings