This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.256 / 53°15'21"N
Longitude: -1.9171 / 1°55'1"W
OS Eastings: 405624
OS Northings: 373223
OS Grid: SK056732
Mapcode National: GBR HZ1S.RJ
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.JF97
Entry Name: Cavendish House
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259419
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462923
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Buxton Central
Built-Up Area: Buxton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573SE BROAD WALK
616-1/4/9 (East side)
Villa or boarding house, now house. Mid C19. Possibly by Sir
Joseph Paxton. Coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings
and Welsh slate hipped roof with stone stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Chamfered plinth, ground and first-floor
bands, first floor panelled impost band and deeply overhanging
eaves supported on carved wooden brackets.
Symmetrical front, 3-windows range with central round headed
doorway in moulded ashlar surround with keystone, and 4-panel
part glazed door and fanlight. Cavendish House is inscribed on
the keystone. Either side are single canted stone bay windows
with hipped leaded roofs, the central 2/2 sash of each
round-headed and taller than the fixed sidelights, which are
topped with ashlar panels. Above 3 round headed 2/2 sashes
with flush surrounds and keystones.
Returns, 2 windows with round headed 2/2 sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The Broad Walk comprises a series of Victorian villas and a
walk overlooking the Pavilion Gardens originally laid out by
Paxton c1850, though most of the surrounding houses were built
by speculative developers. Some are reputed to be designed in
detail by his pupil Edward Milner from 1871, and built by
Saunders & Woolcott of London for the 7th Duke.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 117).
Listing NGR: SK0562473223
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings