This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5766 / 51°34'35"N
Longitude: -0.1905 / 0°11'25"W
OS Eastings: 525487
OS Northings: 187966
OS Grid: TQ254879
Mapcode National: GBR C4.BNK
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.NM4R
Entry Name: 87 and 89, Hampstead Way
Listing Date: 28 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462675
Location: Barnet, London, NW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Garden Suburb
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Jude-on-the-Hill Hampstead Garden Suburb
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2587 HAMPSTEAD WAY
31-0/28/10163 (South West side)
Hampstead Garden Suburb
Nos.87 AND 89
Pair of houses, one of which included an artist's studio.
1910. Matthew Dawson. Red brick in Flemish bond with grey
brick dressings; tile creasing to overdoors; artificial stone; tile hanging. Roof of tile. Two storeys. Long rectangular plan with high stack and abutting dormers to party wall; six-window range to the whole block which is roughly symmetrical. Traces of the vernacular revival hang about the design, an impression derived largely from the long low proportions which call to mind baffle-entry houses of the seventeenth century; the imaginative use of materials places the pair in the ambit of the Arts and Crafts Movement; individual details, however, have an Artisan Mannerist quality about them which might be related to trends in English Classicism. Entrances in the second- and fifth-window ranges, set in flush stone surrounds and flanked by pilasters supported a lintel of tile creasing approximating Roman strigillation; keystone with house number in an original decorative script; low relief panels in painted, cast stone above depicting a mythological scene; cornice canopy porch carried on modillion brackets and having unusual dentil band; a diamond keyed light above entrance to No.87, round above No.89; double doors of an original design, the head of each having decorative glazing. Ground-floor windows in outer ranges with tile lintels. Between the entrances a single, long canted porch shared by the units; the windows interrupted by single brick pilaster on line of party wall; flat-metal roof with cornice flashing of hammered floral ornament. First-floor sill band to casements of three light to outer ranges and four light to windows flanking party wall. First-floor sill band emphasises low proportions of block. Spur of party wall projects above front roof slope to form a setback buttress to axial ridge stack, which, like the stacks to each side unit has a serrated profile produced by brick projections; three-light, flat-roofed dormers flank the stack. Parallel ridge stack to the left and another stack to rear slope of right-hand unit. No.87 with a three-window range return, the gable head tile hung; rear outshut. Return to
No.89 has two-window range with a pair of flat-arched entrances,that to rear with window above having an unusual projecting lower spandrel; all of its gable end is tile hung,
Listing NGR: TQ2548187969
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings