History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

17-18, Victoria Park Square E2

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bethnal Green, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5287 / 51°31'43"N

Longitude: -0.0533 / 0°3'11"W

OS Eastings: 535134

OS Northings: 182887

OS Grid: TQ351828

Mapcode National: GBR J8.97N

Mapcode Global: VHGQV.1T5Y

Entry Name: 17-18, Victoria Park Square E2

Listing Date: 18 July 1949

Last Amended: 25 February 2004

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260103

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206310

Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E2

County: London

District: Tower Hamlets

Electoral Ward/Division: Bethnal Green

Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John on Bethnal Green

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Bethnal Green

Listing Text


788/10/202 VICTORIA PARK SQUARE E2
18-JUL-49 (East side)
17-18

(Formerly listed as:
VICTORIA PARK SQUARE E2
16-18)

GV II*
Pair of houses, now offices (2003). c.1690 with early-C19 alterations and C20 additions. Stock brick with red brick dressings; brick string course at 1st floor level; rendered basement. Tiled roof with wooden modillion eaves cornice and early-C19 dormers. 2 storeys with attic and basement.
EXTERIOR: Each house 5 windows wide; C19 sash windows, recessed and with red brick flat arches and dressings. Entrance doorways have moulded architraves flanked by pilasters with carved and scrolled brackets supporting flat hood with panelled soffits. Entrance steps to No.17 flanked by stone balusters; those to No.18 have late-C18/early-C19 ironwork. Ground floor windows of No. 17 have C19 cast-iron windows guards. No.17 has C19 and C20 additions to rear and C20 2-storey extension at northwest corner. No.18 rear wall re-built and raised with parapet in C19.
INTERIOR: Nos. 17 and 18 have original interior fittings including full-height staircases with 'barley sugar' turned balusters, heavy moulded ramped handrails and square newels with ball terminals, open string stair flights with carved tread-ends up to second floor, and closed string above. Staircase dado panelling. Full height panelled rooms to ground and first floor of both houses, small areas replaced in late-C20; some panelling with bolection mouldings, some square-framed. Wooden box cornices. No. 18 has several first floor chimneypieces with deep wooden surrounds and elaborate overmantels with diamond and 'fish scale' motifs. No. 17 has several early-C19 wooden and wide marble fireplaces. Rear basement room of No.18 has brick-lined well.
HISTORY: Nos. 17 and 18 appear to be the 'two adjoining tenements with orchard and garden' referred to in the 1690 abstracts of admittance for Stepney. First owned by James Grunwin, the property was bequeathed to Thomas Vickars and William Barwell in 1701, the garden behind enclosed with a wall and sold to Joseph Blissott who owned another property in Bethnal Green. The property was let to a succession of tenants throughout the C18, remaining relatively unchanged in footprint until the later-C19. In 1887, No.17 was used as by the University Club, an Anglican settlement that had been founded in Bethnal Green by theology graduates from Oxford. It is then that the first building, a clubhouse for the Settlement, was constructed on the the site of No.16 (q.v.). Nos. 16-18 were formerly listed as one item, with No.16 considered to be a much altered c.1690 house.
SOURCES: Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, 'London East' (1930) p.9.
English Heritage Historians file Tower Hamlets 85.

A pair of c.1690 houses that retain their 5-bay brick facades, full-height staircases with 'barley sugar' turned balusters, panelled rooms and chimneypieces, and that have a layer of C19 interest; listed at Grade II* for their outstanding interest as rare survivals of pre-Georgian houses in East London.

Listing NGR: TQ3513482882

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.