This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2404 / 51°14'25"N
Longitude: 1.1338 / 1°8'1"E
OS Eastings: 618835
OS Northings: 153695
OS Grid: TR188536
Mapcode National: GBR TYQ.5G3
Mapcode Global: VHLGV.L2QX
Entry Name: Bridge Hill House
Listing Date: 3 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1260422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171609
Location: Bridge, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Bridge
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
In the entry for:
22/1000 HIGHAM LANE (OFF)
Bridge Hill House
i. the grid reference shall be amended to:
ii. the grade shall be entered as:
iii. the reference to BARHAM parish on page II of the list shall read BRIDGE.
The listwas previously amended in respect of this entry on 3 July 1987.
5273 BRIDGE HIGHAM LANE (OFF)
TR 1953 Bridge Hill House
House. Late C18 with early C19 side additions and entrance lobby. Stuccoed with
hipped slate roof and stuccoed chimneystacks 2 to 3 storeys. Main front has 3
storey range with paired brackets. 3 16 pane sashes in moulded architrave with
vermiculated keystones, cill brackets and band between floors. 1 bay matching
wing to right of lower elevation with circular window and 2 storey early C19
addition attached to this. Between the 2 wings is a projecting early C19 single
storey entrance porch with parapet wall and cornice and 2 moulded bands. Doorway
with simple moulded pilasters and brackets supporting projecting curved hood.
To left of main block is another 3 storey 1 bay wing. 2 storeys to rear with long
casement windows at 1st floor set in moulded surrounds with vermiculated keystones.
Ground floor casements with transom lights and jalousies opening on to tented verandah
with copper roof, cast iron tracery arches and columns consisting of kindles of
slender bars terminating in floral emblems.
Internally, fittings are of high quality with marble fire surrounds, 6 panelled
doors, window shutters, a sweeping staircase with cut and bracketed strings and
an oval roof light over the top landing. Internally the entrance porch has a
domed fanlight in etched glass rising from richly decorated plaster band, image
niche and large archway leading to hall; stone flags to floor. The first recorded
occupant was Charles Louis Secondal Baron de Montesquieu. Later occupants were
the Anderson family of shipping line fame.
Listing NGR: TR1883553695
Other nearby listed buildings