History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton, St. Helens

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4373 / 53°26'14"N

Longitude: -2.7033 / 2°42'11"W

OS Eastings: 353375

OS Northings: 393621

OS Grid: SJ533936

Mapcode National: GBR 9XKP.JK

Mapcode Global: WH875.FVYS

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 2 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260566

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216397

Location: St. Helens, WA9

County: St. Helens

Electoral Ward/Division: Sutton

Built-Up Area: St Helens

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Sutton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Saint Helens

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

SJ 59 SW ST HELENS ELLAMSBRIDGE ROAD
(north side), Sutton

8/93 church of All Saints

II

Church. 1891-93. By Austin and Paley. Dressed, snecked red sandstone.C20
cement-tile roof. Cruciform plan having 5-bay aisled nave with porch and 2-bay
chancel with chapel and vestry. Orientated north-south; ritual orientation
used here. Gothic Revival style. Nave: south porch to bay 1 has angle
buttresses, 2-light window and roll-moulded gable copings with cross; west-facing
doorway with moulded arch and hoodmould over foiled panels with shields; statue
niche to left. Aisle: offset buttress; mostly 3-light windows with rounded
lights and plain tracery under square heads. 3-light clerestory windows with
plain tracery and pointed-arch heads (north windows have mouchettes). Large
offset buttresses flank west window of 4 lights under traceried head and hoodmould.
Transepts also lit by 4-light windows with mouchettes and hoodmoulds. South
chapel has square-headed 2-light windows whilst those to chancel are cusped
and traceried. Vestry to north has west door and cusped, square-headed 2-light
windows. Offset buttresses flank east window of 5 lights with stepped, embattled
transom and traceried head.
Interior: arcades have hollow faced octagonal piers and moulded capitals to
cavetto-moulded arches. Taller crossing arches die into more massive piers
with blind panelling. Oak choir stalls; organ of 1900 the gift of William
Pilkington; Pilkington memorial stained glass east window of 1905. The western
2 bays of nave have been reordered. The crossing tower of the original design
was never built.


Listing NGR: SJ5337593621

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.