History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orangery with Front Terrace and Wall with Sphinxes at Trent Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Cockfosters, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.66 / 51°39'36"N

Longitude: -0.1337 / 0°8'1"W

OS Eastings: 529187

OS Northings: 197341

OS Grid: TQ291973

Mapcode National: GBR FH.0YT

Mapcode Global: VHGQ6.MJPS

Entry Name: Orangery with Front Terrace and Wall with Sphinxes at Trent Park

Listing Date: 17 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260709

English Heritage Legacy ID: 200843

Location: Enfield, London, EN4

County: London

District: Enfield

Electoral Ward/Division: Cockfosters

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Christ Church Cockfosters

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
New Barnet

Listing Text

BRAMLEY ROAD
TQ 29 NE (north side, off)
19/132 Orangery with front
terrace and wall with
sphinxes at Trent Park

II GV

Orangery, now part of music school. Circa 1930 by Col R Cooper for Sir Philip
Sassoon, incorporating early C18 sculpture from Wrest Park, Beds. Red brick in
Flemish bond with stone dressings and sculpture; sphinxes of Coade stone; flat
roof concealed by parapet. One storey. 5 bays, the end bays canted. Each bay,
and the returned end bays, has a round-arched small-pane French window below
fanlight with radial glazing bars. Band below coped parapet which supports 3
sculptures (at centre and ends) each comprising a garlanded urn flanked by
cherubs. In front of Orangery is terrace approached up 4 shallow steps to each
side of which are low brick walls which return to the organgery as quadrants;
next to the steps they terminate in plinths which have Coade stone roundels of
the seasons and support sphinxes, one of which is dated 1787. Late C20 music
shool addition to rear of orangery is not of special interest. Orangery listed
principally because of interest of the C18 sculptures.
Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England, Part 17;
Greater London.


Listing NGR: TQ2918797341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.