History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dunottar School high Trees

A Grade II Listed Building in Reigate and Banstead, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2312 / 51°13'52"N

Longitude: -0.1902 / 0°11'24"W

OS Eastings: 526452

OS Northings: 149561

OS Grid: TQ264495

Mapcode National: GBR JJ1.LQV

Mapcode Global: VHGS9.N98Z

Entry Name: Dunottar School high Trees

Listing Date: 13 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260767

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289459

Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH2

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead

Town: Reigate and Banstead

Electoral Ward/Division: Meadvale and St John's

Built-Up Area: Reigate

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Reigate

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Redhill

Listing Text


1.
5388 HIGH TREES ROAD

Dunottar School

(known as High Trees)
II

---------------------------------------------------

HIGH TREES ROAD
1.
5388 (South side, off)

TQ 2649 Dunottar School
(known as High Trees)

18/248 II


2.
House now school. 1867 with additions c1908. Later C20 additions not of special interest.
Ashlar, Welsh slate roof. Main interest lies in the main 2-storey block which has side
wings; a c1908 former stable and garage block with tower lies to north-east. Italianate
style. North (entrance) front: Main block 2 storeys, 7 bays, central 3 bays recessed
with side wings set back, of 1 storey to right, 2 storeys to left. The whole has plinth,
rusticated ground floor with guilloche band above, 1st floor rusticated quoins and
dentilled and modillioned eaves cornice. Sashes to ground floor, C20 wooden cross
casements above. Central tetrastyle portico, the columns with frosted rustication to
base and supporting full classical entablature with balustrade over; inside portico is
glazed double door under fanlight in keyed round-arched architrave flanked by pilasters
and by narrow windows. On 1st floor windows have raised panels below jambs of architraves
and corbelled cornices. Right wing has balustraded parapet. Left wing of 3 bays, has
tripartite window at left end on each floor. Roof of main block hipped over outer bays
and with lateral stacks; C20 roofing material to left wing. South (garden) front:
style as north front with dentilled cornice over ground floor. Central 3 bays recessed
with steps up to triple round-arched arcade with Corinthian attached column-and- pilaster piers,
hoodmoulds, footage- decorated spandrels, and central glazed door flanked by windows with
3 windows above (as north front). To each outer bay a square ground-floor bay window
with 3-light front window having banded Corinthian-column mullions, dentil cornice
balustrade to balcony above and triple 1st floor window. Single-storey side wings have
dentil cornices and balustrated parapets, left wing with door on right and triple window,
both with columns as before; right wing of brick with doors and windows in dentilled
recesses, ashlar parapet and balustrade. To rear, on right, is later tower with clock
face inuyper,recessed, stage and corbelled cornice (formerly supporting cupola). Returns:
style continued, with central triple window to west return and bay window at north end
of east return. Interior: Many of the high quality original features survive, including:
fine parquet floors in the top lit front hall, ball-room and stair hall, and a Minton
tile floor in the vestibule;enriched" panelling, cornices and plaster ceilings (in
particular in the front hall, ball-room and room adjoining billiard room); original
6-panel doors in elaborately moulded architraves; fine fireplaces throughout with cast-
iron grates and richly-moulded architraves, elaborate ironwork to gallery in front hall
and to balustrade of staircase. A fine and well-preserved example of its period.
W E Hitchin, Surrey at the Beg>'ttding of the C20, P25 Sale Catalogue of 1933.


Listing NGR: TQ2645249561

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.