History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wharfe Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorp Arch, Leeds

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.903 / 53°54'10"N

Longitude: -1.3217 / 1°19'18"W

OS Eastings: 444663

OS Northings: 445418

OS Grid: SE446454

Mapcode National: GBR MR69.NM

Mapcode Global: WHDB7.N5T6

Entry Name: Wharfe Bridge

Listing Date: 21 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260804

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326052

Location: Thorp Arch, Leeds, LS23

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Thorp Arch

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thorp-Arch All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bramham

Listing Text

The following building shall be added;

SE 44 NE NEWTON KYME-CUM-TOULSTON INGS LANE
(south side, off)

1/63 Wharfe Bridge

- II

Railway viaduct, partly in the parish of Thorp Arch in the county of West
Yorkshire; now disused. 1847. For the York and North Midland Railway Company;
altered. Coursed squared magnesium limestone; ashlar gritstone dressings.
5 round arches on each bank of the river Wharf linked by 2 fabricated steel
platforms of later date set on a mid-stream pier. The arches on each embankment
spring from piers with ashlar cutwaters and have rock-faced voussoirs beneath
a nosed ashlar band; parapet walls mostly removed. On each river bank is a
larger pier with domed cutwater; on the sides facing the river are seatings
for what were probably arch braces to an original cast-iron bridge structure;
the nosed bands return. Central pier as those on each bank. Original to the
Church Fenton to Spofforth line opened 1847 and linked to Harrogate the following
year. At this point the River Wharfe forms the county boundary, with West
Yorkshire occupying the north bank. The other side of the bridge is listed in the
Parish of Thorp Arch.


Listing NGR: SE4466345418

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.